Near Dewy Rose in Elbert County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Stinchcomb Methodist Church
Stinchcomb Methodist Church was one of the first churches in this section of the state. On Dec. 30, 1794, Middleton Wood granted to Absalom Stinchcomb, John Gatewood and John Ham, the "privilege to erect a meeting house on his land on waters of Dove Creek". The first building was a log structure. By 1850's the church acquired surrounding property. The present building has been in continuous use for over 100 years. The sills are handhewn, 14 inched square. Among the old graves in the churchyard cemetery is that of Dionysius Oliver, Revolutionary soldier.
Erected 1996 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 052-8B.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 8.274′ N, 82° 56.61′ W. Marker is near Dewy Rose, Georgia, in Elbert County. Marker is on Stinchcomb Road half a mile south of Deep Creek Road, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at the church, hidden behind the granite sign for the church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2069 Stinchcomb Road, Dewy Rose GA 30634, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Grave of General Wiley Thompson Elbert County Courthouse (approx. 4.7 miles away); In the Year 1803 (approx. 4.7 miles away); Old Post Road (approx. 4.7 miles away); Elbert County (approx. 4.7 miles away); In Memory (approx. 4.7 miles away); Samuel Elbert (approx. 4.7 miles away); Elberton Granite Bicentennial Memorial Fountain (approx. 4.7 miles away); Confederate Dead (approx. 4.8 miles away); Old Seaboard Airline Depot (approx. 4.8 miles away).
More about this marker. This marker replaces an early marker with the same title and almost identical text, which was located at Ga Highway 17 and Deep Creek Road. That marker, which was mounted on a monopole, had disappeared in the late 1980s or early 1990s.
Also see . . .
1. Stinchcomb Methodist Church Cemetery Listing. The transcription was made by Larry R. Butler and Janice B. Turner May 2001. (Submitted on November 6, 2014, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Find-a-Grave Entry for Dionysius Oliver. Served in the Revolutinary (Submitted on November 6, 2014, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Stinchcomb Methodist Church. (Submitted on February 15, 2017, by Bruce Evans of Elberton, Georgia [GA].)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Churches, Etc. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,414 times since then and 75 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2, 3. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 4. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 5. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on February 16, 2017.