Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Whitesville in Troup County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Jones Crossroads

 
 
Jones Crossroads Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 14, 2004
1. Jones Crossroads Marker
Inscription. Troup and Harris County residents first settled at the crossroads of the LaGrange-Whitesville-Columbus Stagecoach route and the West Point to King's Gap Road in the late 1820's. Named for local landowner, Christopher Columbus Jones (1831-1904 and his son Monroe, Jones Crossroads once had several flourishing businesses, including a cotton gin, a racehorse track, a tavern, and a U.S. post office called Paulina. Monroe Jones established the rock store in 1903 which members of the Avery Family have owned and operated since the 1920's. Just south of here is Union Baptist Church, established in 1838, and the site of Union Academy and the Jessie Wisdom Institute.
 
Erected 1994 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Troup County Historical Society.
 
Location. 32° 52.176′ N, 85° 2.1′ W. Marker is near Whitesville, Georgia, in Troup County. Marker is at the intersection of Georgia Route 18 and Whitesville Road (Georgia Route 219), on the right when traveling west on State Route 18. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: West Point GA 31833, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Whitesville Methodist Episcopal Church, South (approx. 3.5 miles away); Whitesville
Jones Crossroads Store image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, September 18, 2010
2. Jones Crossroads Store
The rock store at the crossroads, dating from 1903
(approx. 3.6 miles away); Sunnyside School, Midway Baptist Church and Midway Cemetery Historic District (approx. 4.6 miles away); Tenth Street School (approx. 7.9 miles away); Gen. Robert C. Tyler, C.S.A. (approx. 8.1 miles away); Fort Tyler Cemetery (approx. 8.1 miles away); Noted Indian Trail (approx. 8.1 miles away); Troup Factory (approx. 8.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Whitesville.
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 964 times since then and 68 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement