Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Ramsay House
Erected by City of Alexandria.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia, Old Town Alexandria marker series.
Location. 38° 48.274′ N, 77° 2.542′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of King Street and Fairfax Street, on the left when traveling east on King Street. Click for map. Marker is at sidewalk level, on the side of the house. Marker is in this post office area: Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic Alexandria (within shouting distance of this marker); The Carlyle House and the 18th-Century Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of First Services of the Salvation Army (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Assembly Hall (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Alexandria.
1. Text on the Wooden Plaque
THE RAMSAY HOUSE Built Circa 1724. Oldest house in ALEXANDRIA owned by WILLIAM RAMSAY, a Founder, Trustee, and the first Mayor of Alexandria in 1749. Later occupied by his son DENNIS RAMSAY and his descendants. Interest in preserving the house was initiated by EDWARD C. VAN DEVANTER. It was purchased by the CITY in 1944 to prevent its demolition. The ALEXANDRIA HISTORICAL SOCIETY, INC. was then authorized by the CITY COUNCIL to undertake the restoration. The work was commenced through gifts by the ALEXANDRIA ASSOCIATION and public spirited citizens. In 1955 the CITY COUNCIL appropriated funds to complete the restoration.
The CITY COUNCIL: LEROY S BENDHEIM, Mayor; JOSEPH M. PANCOAST, vice major; JAMES M. DUNCAN, Jr., councilman; JOHN J. EWALD councilman; FRANK E. MANN, councilman; JOHN T. TIGER, councilman; F. CLINTON KNIGHT, councilman. City Manager, IRA F. WILLARD. Architect for Restoration, MILTON L. GRIGG. Builder, EUGENE and CLARENCE SIMPSON. Garden and Landscaping, HUNTING CREEK GARDEN CLUB.
— Submitted March 8, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,688 times since then and 102 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. 3. submitted on , by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.