Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Herndon in Northumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

John Scull Trading Post

 
 
John Scull Trading Post Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, November 28, 2008
1. John Scull Trading Post Marker
Inscription. In 1701, here, John Scull operated a trading post. He was the first known Englishman to visit the Indian village of "Shamokin" and was here as late as 1729. On October 17, 1750 Thomas and Richard Penn executed a deed for this land, including in excess of 800 acres, to Conrad Weiser for assisting in negotiating the 1749 treaty. Thereafter, his son, Samuel Weiser, operated a tavern here. Consisting of a two story log building which was adjacent to the Iroquois Indian path leading from the New York line to Philadelphia; was later known as the "Tulpehocken" Path, used by the early missionaries and travelers; and on January 19, 1769, the PA legislature authorized the creating of the first road leading north, which was adjacent to the tavern and ended at the foot of the Mahanoy Mountain. The legislature did not want to establish a road on unpurchased Indian lands the will of Samuel Weiser, dated November 24, 1794, willed the present stone house which he had previously built, to his widow. On January 19, 1867, the property was sold to Jacob Bower and which was restored by his great, great grandson, Steven I. Tressler and Debbie in the year 2000.
 
Location. 40° 43.749′ N, 76° 50.331′ W. Marker is near Herndon, Pennsylvania, in Northumberland County. Marker is on
Marker with the Stone House in the Background image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, November 28, 2008
2. Marker with the Stone House in the Background
State Highway 147, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Herndon PA 17830, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tulpehocken Path (approx. half a mile away); Line Mountain A.K.A. Mahanoy Mountain (approx. mile away); Herndon Formerly Trevorton Junction (approx. 1.4 miles away); Erected to the Memory of Simon Snyder (approx. 4.9 miles away); Simon Snyder (approx. 5.1 miles away); Susquehanna University (approx. 5.2 miles away); “Coxey's Army” (approx. 5.6 miles away); The (John) Penn's Creek Massacre (approx. 5.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Herndon.
 
Also see . . .
1. PA Indian Paths and Trails. (Submitted on November 29, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.)
2. The Tulpehocken Path - In Print. (Submitted on November 29, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
Another View of the Stone House image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, November 28, 2008
3. Another View of the Stone House
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 864 times since then and 81 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement