Near Marietta in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Davis’ Cross Roads
In June 1864, was an outpost of right wing of Sherman´s forces [US], moving from New Hope Church in Paulding Co. toward the State R.R. and the [CS] left flank.
Hardee´s Corps [CS] , on the left, occupied a line at Gilgal Church 1.5 mi. S.E.
June 10, Strickland´s 3d Brigade of Hascall´s 2nd Div. 23d Corps [US], assaulted Cleburne´s Sharpshooters [CS] posted here and on adjacent hill.
After a sharp conflict the [CS] withdrew to the lines near Gilgal Church.
Erected 1952 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 033-1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 58.684′ N, 84° 41.385′ W. Marker is near Marietta, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is on Burnt Hickory Road NW 0.1 miles from Old Mountain Road NW, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kennesaw GA 30152, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of the Dickson House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Military Action at Gilgal Church (approx. 1.5 miles away); Battle of Gilgal Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); Due West Community (approx. 1.6 miles away); Stilesboro-Sandtown Crossroads (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Reversed Trench (approx. 1.9 miles away); Battle of Pine Knob (approx. 2.2 miles away); Green Plantation (approx. 2.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Marietta.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,010 times since then and 10 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?