Washington in Washington County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Washington City 1857
The area where the Willard O. Nisson park now stands was used as a campground in the latter part of the 1800ís. It was known as camp Washington
The Antone and Leroy Nisson Families wanted to honor their father, Willard O. Nisson so they arranged for the building of this park. Through an exchange of properties, this property became available to that Washington City could construct this facility. Willard was known as a great schoolteacher, school principal, city mayor, and a talented musician. Willardís sister Annie, the wife of Hans Peter Iverson, also came to Washington at this time. The Willard Nisson family home was located on the northwest corner of Main St. and Telegraph St.
Erected 2000 by Washington City Historical Society.
Location. 37° 7.805′ N, 113° 30.806′ W. Marker is in Washington Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 151 W Telegraph, Washington UT 84780, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Telegraph Street / Millcreek Mills (here, next to this marker); ZCMI Co-op Building (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Relief Society Hall (about 600 feet away); Thomas W. Smith's Corn Cracker & Grist Millstone (about 700 feet away); Washington Cotton Factory (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Washington Cotton Factory (about 700 feet away); ZCMI Co-op Building 1875–1921 (about 800 feet away); Prominent Pioneer Men and Women Who Helped Settle Washington City (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Washington.
Categories. • Notable Events • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on June 28, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,100 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on June 28, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. 2. submitted on September 20, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 3. submitted on June 28, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.