Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fredericksburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Corporation Court House

 
 
Corporation Court House, Left Side Plaque Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, December 13, 2008
1. Corporation Court House, Left Side Plaque
Inscription. (Left Side Plaque):
City of
Fredericksburg
Virginia
Corporation Court House
Erected 1851-52

Mayor .....Robert B. Semple
Judge of Court .. John Tayloe Lomax
Building Commissioners
Thomas B. Berton, chairman
B.R. Wellford
William Allen
John Minor
John James Chew
Architect James Renwick
Contractor Wm. M. Baggott
A former court house, erected on this site in 1733, was torn down in 1851 to permit the erection of this court house

(Right Side Plaque):
Fredericksburg
Corporation Court House
Historical Data

Courthouse erected 1851-52

Brick walls stuccoed - 1916

Bell. Made by Paul Revere
Foundry, Boston, presented to
city by Silas Wood of New York - 1829

The clerk's office contains
many historical documents
among which are -

The will of Mary Washington,
Mother of our illustrious George
dated 1789

Commission to Augustine Washington,
father of George, appointing him
trustee of Fredericksburg
dated 1742

 
Location. 38° 18.118′ N, 77° 27.581′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Marker is on Princess Anne Street (State Highway 2), on the left when traveling south. Click for map.
Corporation Court House, Right Side Plaque Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, December 13, 2008
2. Corporation Court House, Right Side Plaque
Located on the Fredericksburg Court House. Marker is at or near this postal address: 815 Princess Anne Street, Fredericksburg VA 22401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); A Vast Hospital (within shouting distance of this marker); The “Demon of Destruction” (within shouting distance of this marker); War Comes to Fredericksburg (within shouting distance of this marker); Clara Barton (within shouting distance of this marker); Gen. Stonewall Jackson (within shouting distance of this marker); Fredericksburg United Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Odd Fellows Lodge (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Click for a list of all markers in Fredericksburg.
 
Categories. Government
 
The Courthouse Cupola Photo, Click for full size
By Kevin W.
3. The Courthouse Cupola
The plaques flank the entrance way.
Historic Fredericksburg Foundation Plaque Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, December 13, 2008
4. Historic Fredericksburg Foundation Plaque
The Court House is number four on the foundation's list.
Fredericksburg Court House Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, December 13, 2008
5. Fredericksburg Court House
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 932 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   3. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.   4, 5. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement