Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Gettysburg in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

2d Pennsylvania Cavalry

 
 
2d Pennsylvania Cavalry Monument Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, June 22, 2008
1. 2d Pennsylvania Cavalry Monument
Inscription. (Front):
2d. Pennsylvania Cavalry
attached to Provost Guard,
Army Headquarters.

The Regiment held this position July 3rd.
until the close of the day when it conducted
3000 prisoners to Westminster, Md. Detach-
ments served on other parts of the field
during the battle.
(Right):
Mustered in August-October 1861.
Re-enlisted Dec. 1863-Feb. 1864.
Consolidated with the
20th Pennsylvania Cavalry to form the
1st Provisional Pennsylvania
Cavalry, June 17th 1865.
Mustered out July 13th 1865.

(Left):
Recruited in
Philadelphia, Lancaster, Centre,
Northampton, Crawford, Berks,
Tioga and Armstrong Counties.

(Back):
Cedar Mountain. - Cold Harbor.
2d. Bull Run. - Trevilian Station.
Chantilly. - Jerusalem Plank Road.
Gettysburg. - Malvern Hill.
Mine Run. - Deep Bottom.
Wilderness. - White Oak Swamp.
Todd's Tavern. - Reams' Station.
Yellow Tavern. - Poplar Spring Church.
Richmond Fortifications. - Wyatt's Farm.
Meadow Bridge. - Stoney Creek Station.
Hawes' Shop. - Boydton Road.
Hanover Court House. - Hatcher's Run.
Appomattox.
And other Battles.

 
Erected 1889 by Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
 
Location.
Front Inscription with State Seal Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, June 22, 2008
2. Front Inscription with State Seal
39° 48.861′ N, 77° 14.02′ W. Marker is near Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is on Taneytown Road (State Highway 134), on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Located on a walking trail extending between Cemetery Ridge and Meade's Headquarters, in Gettysburg National Military Park. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 10th New York Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); Batteries F & K, Third U.S. Artillery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Eighth U.S. Infantry (about 300 feet away); Headquarters of Major General George G. Meade (about 400 feet away); Major General George Gordon Meade (about 400 feet away); Oneida New York Cavalry (about 400 feet away); Maj. Gen. George Gordon Meade (about 400 feet away); 114th Regiment Pennsylvania Infantry (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Gettysburg.
 
Also see . . .
1. High Water Mark. National Park Service virtual tour stop. (Submitted on December 15, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 

2. 2nd Pennsylvania Cavalry. A history of the Regiment. On July 3, 1863, the regiment was deployed behind the Federal defenses to contain stragglers and direct them back to the lines. (Submitted on December 15, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Right Side Inscription Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, June 22, 2008
3. Right Side Inscription
 
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Left Side Inscription Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, June 22, 2008
4. Left Side Inscription
Back Inscription Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, June 22, 2008
5. Back Inscription
Statue Atop the Monument Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, June 22, 2008
6. Statue Atop the Monument
The trooper is reloading a Sharps carbine while looking to the horizon. His hand is holding a cartridge pulled from the cartridge box. On the front of his belt is a cap box. To his right side is a revolver, in the holster, mounted with the butt forward. The wide strap crossing his chest is the carbine sling. Running below it is a support strap for his saber belt. The saber is hung from his left side. Notice the detail down to the artwork of the belt buckle.
2d Pennsylvania Cavalry Monument Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, June 22, 2008
7. 2d Pennsylvania Cavalry Monument
A left flank marker stands just south of the monument.
Left Flank Marker Stone Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, December 27, 2008
8. Left Flank Marker Stone
View of the Monument from the Left Flank Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, December 27, 2008
9. View of the Monument from the Left Flank
Looking from the left flank marker stone to the monument location. The old Cyclorama Building is in the background.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 971 times since then and 97 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   8, 9. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement