Inscription. About 2 miles East, on this road, is the site of "Fort Alert, usually called Trader's Hill." Established in the 18th century, and defended by a stockade garrisoned by U.S. Troops, Trader's Hill was a refuge for settlers during the Indian Wars. At the head of navigation on the St. Marys River, it was also one of the most important trading centers in the Southeast. In 1854, it became the County Site [sic] of Charlton County, and served in this capacity until 1901. The Methodist Church on the site of the old town is one of the oldest in this County, and in the cemetery adjacent are buried many of the pioneers of the region.
By Randy Rain, July 4, 2007
|1. Trader's Hill (Fort Alert) Marker|
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Comission. (Marker Number 024-9.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 30° 47.791′ N, 82° 2.126′ W. Marker is near Folkston, Georgia, in Charlton County. Marker is at the intersection of Okefenokee Parkway (Georgia Route 121) and the road to Traders Hill, on the right when traveling north on Okefenokee Parkway. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Folkston GA 31537, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies
. First Masonic Lodge in Charlton County (here, next to this marker); Oldest Industry in Charlton (here, next to this marker); Sardis Church (approx. half a mile away); Okefenokee Swamp (approx. 2.8 miles away); Henry Roddenberry (approx. 3 miles away); Charlton County (approx. 3 miles away); Center Village or Centerville (approx. 3 miles away); Treaty of Coleraine (approx. 8.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Folkston.
By David Seibert, January 19, 2010
|2. Trader's Hill (Fort Alert) Marker|
|The Trader's Hill marker stands between two other Georgia Historical Commission markers, Oldest Industry in Charlton and First Masonic Lodge in Charlton County.|
Regarding Trader's Hill (Fort Alert). Traders Hill is a historical site that has been used by the Indians, the Spanish, the English, and American Colonials. Daniel Boone reportedly used this site on some of his southern hunting expeditions. Sailors came up this far to get fresh water that was known to stay "fresh" for long periods. Known in the 1700s as Fort Alert, early settlers sought refuge at the fort during Indian Wars.
Its location at the head of navigation on the St. Marys River made it an important trading center in the Southeast. In 1854 it became the county seat of Charlton County, and maintained that distinction until 1901 when Folkston, flourishing along the old S.F. & W. Railroad from Savannah to Jacksonville, became the new county seat.
Also see . . . From Trader's Hill (Fort Alert). An historical article about the Traders Hill area, by Alex S. McQueen, written in 1932. (Submitted on December 16, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on December 16, 2008, by Randy Rain of Sanderson, Florida. This page has been viewed 2,648 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on December 16, 2008, by Randy Rain of Sanderson, Florida. 2. submitted on February 13, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |