Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Homer in Banks County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Nails Creek Baptist Church

 
 
Nails Creek Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, February 16, 2008
1. Nails Creek Baptist Church Marker
Inscription. Nails Creek Baptist Church, the first Baptist Church in Banks County, was established February 11, 1787. It was the Mother Church of Middle River, Grove Level and Indian Creek. Many descendants of its charter members are active in the work of the church. The first building burned in 1864 and was rebuilt in 1868. In 1881 a larger church was erected and that was replaced by the present brick structure in 1908. From 1836 to 1922 28 ministers filled the pulpit. Membership in 1922 was 457
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 006-5.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 34° 22.328′ N, 83° 24.33′ W. Marker is near Homer, Georgia, in Banks County. Marker is on Georgia Route 51 0.1 miles west of Martin Bridge Road (Georgia Route 63), on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2721 Highway 51 N, Homer GA 30547, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mt. Pleasant Church (approx. 2.3 miles away); Hebron Presbyterian Church (approx. 4.8 miles away); Indian Boundary (approx. 5.1 miles away); Old Federal Road Historic District (approx. 5.8 miles away); Banks County (approx. 5.9 miles away); Line Baptist Church (approx. 6.3 miles away); Leatherwood Baptist Church (approx. 7.2 miles away); Middle River Volunteers (approx. 7.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Homer.
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USChurches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,449 times since then and 122 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement