Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Reverend Father Alexander Cestelli / Chiesta Italiana di San Giovanni Battista
The National Italian Catholic parish of Saint John the Baptist was founded in October 1896 by the Reverend Father Alexander Cestelli, D.D. Father Cestelli was born in Fiesole, Italy and came to America in 1888 to serve as a professor at St. Paul's Seminary in Minnesota. In January 1896, founding Rector Monsignor John Joseph Jessing invited Father Cestelli to serve at the Pontifical College Josephinum in Columbus, Ohio as a professor of moral theology. In October 1896, the Right Reverend John Ambrose Watterson, D.D., Bishop of Columbus, appointed Father Cestelli as pastor of the Italian Catholic community. Sunday Mass was celebrated in the baptistery of Saint Joseph Cathedral until September 18, 1898, when the Most Reverend Sebastiano Martinelli, Apostolic Delegate to the United States, dedicated this historic church.
Chiesa Italiana Di San Giovanni Battista (The Italian Catholic Church of Saint John the Baptist)
Built in 1898, Saint John the Baptist Italian Catholic Church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Unlike most Roman Catholic parishes, which are established by geographic boundaries, St. John's has no territorial limits, and is centered on the Italian language and heritage of its parishioners.
Erected 2004 by Saint John the Baptist National Italian Catholic Church and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 87-25.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 58.633′ N, 82° 59.951′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of Hamlet Street and Lincoln Street, on the left when traveling south on Hamlet Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus OH 43215, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Father Rocco Petrarca (within shouting distance of this marker); Tod Barracks, 1863 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lincoln Goodale (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Fireproof Building (approx. half a mile away); Flytown St. Patrick Church / St. Patrick College and Aquinas College High School (approx. 0.7 miles away); Columbus' First Professional Game (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Columbus Buckeyes (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbus.
Categories. • 20th Century • Churches, Etc. • Education • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 721 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.