Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Gettysburg in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

90th Pennsylvania Volunteers

2nd Brigade, 2nd Division

 

—First Corps —

 
90th Pennsylvania Volunteers Monument Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, September 17, 2008
1. 90th Pennsylvania Volunteers Monument
A bronze eagle stretches its wings over a drum on the top of the monument.
Inscription. (Around the middle step):
90th P.V.
Second Brig.
2nd Division
First Corps

(Front):
This Regiment recruited in Phila.
responded to the first call April
6, 1861. Served until Aug. 9, as the
9th P.V. Reorganized Oct 1, 1861, as
the 90th P.V. Serving the
First and Fifth
Corps, and participating in all
the important battles of the
Army of the Potomac until
mustered out Nov. 26, 1864.
Non sibi sed patraie

(Right):
Erected by the "Survivors Association" aided by grateful friends to commemorate the valor and patriotism of our honored dead, and the cause for which they and their comrades fought. This monument marks the position of the 90th Penna. Volunteers of Philada. July 3rd 1863. Col. Peter Lyle, commanding the 1st Brigade, Major A.J. Sellers, the Regiment. July 1st from one to three o'clock P.M. the Regiment fought on the extreme right of the 1st Corps on Seminary (Oak) Ridge as indicated by its monument there. Eight companies being refused facing the Mummasburg Road. It there engaged Page's Va. Confederate battery and O'Neal's Ala. Brigade of Rodes' Division until its ammunition was exhausted. Losing 11 men killed and mortally wounded, 44 wounded, 39 captured and missing. Total 94 out of 208 engaged. Three regiments of Iverson's North Carolina
Front Inscriptions Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, September 17, 2008
2. Front Inscriptions
In the center of the text a "moon", the symbol of the I Corps, is superimposed over a Maltese cross, the symbol of the V Corps.
Confederate infantry were captured on our Brigade front.

July 2nd it occupied Cemetery Hill and in the evening moved to left of 2nd Corps, returning during the evening to this position.

(Left)
Fraternity, Charity,
Loyalty

(Back):
Buck & Ball
Caliber 69.

 
Erected 1888 by 90th Pennsylvania Survivors Association.
 
Location. 39° 49.015′ N, 77° 14.061′ W. Marker is near Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is on Hancock Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Located west of the parking area for the old Visitor Center, near Ziegler's Grove in Gettysburg National Military Park. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Massachusetts Sharpshooters (a few steps from this marker); 88th Pennsylvania Volunteers (a few steps from this marker); Alexander Hays (a few steps from this marker); Gettysburg National Military Park (within shouting distance of this marker); 126th New York Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); Battery G, Second U.S. Artillery
Right Side Plaque Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, September 17, 2008
3. Right Side Plaque
(within shouting distance of this marker); 108th New York Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); Battery I First U.S. Artillery (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Gettysburg.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. The 90th Pennsylvania at Gettysburg.
 
Also see . . .
1. Ziegler's Grove. National Park Service virtual tour stop. (Submitted on December 18, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 

2. 90th Pennsylvania Volunteers. A history of the Regiment. (Submitted on December 18, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Left Side Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, September 17, 2008
4. Left Side
This side features a canteen supported by oak branches.
Back of Monument Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, September 17, 2008
5. Back of Monument
On the back of the monument is an embedded musket ball. Buck and ball was a standard load for smoothbore muskets. It consisted of several small pieces of buckshot loaded with a musket ball.
90th Pennsylvania Volunteers Monument Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, September 17, 2008
6. 90th Pennsylvania Volunteers Monument
Section of the Line Held by the 90th Pennsylvania Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, September 17, 2008
7. Section of the Line Held by the 90th Pennsylvania
To support the Federal units directly engaged with Longstreet's July 3 attack, General Meade ordered several regiments forward to bolster the defense of Cemetery Hill. The 90th Pennsylvania deployed on a line overlooking what is today Hancock Avenue. This view looks across the north end of Ziegler's Grove. The regiment's left flank marker is in the right foreground, next to a flank marker for the 126th New York Infantry Regiment.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 853 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement