San Diego in San Diego County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Mission San Diego de Alcala
Military operation of the Mission San Diego began in 1847 when the Mormon Volunteer Battalion of the U.S. Cavalry lived on the grounds. The soldiers added a second floor to the interior of the church for barracks and used the ground floor as a stable. Exterior ladders extended up to the windows which were used as doors. The Army of the Pacific resided at Mission San Diego from 1851 to 1858 and the Mission remained Army Headquarters until 1862, when Abraham Lincoln deeded the Mission ruins and 22 surrounding acres back to the Church.
In 1931 the building was restored to the specifications and appearance of the church of 1813. Original materials present in the building include the wooden beams over the doorways, the adobe bricks in the baptistry arch, and the dark floor tiles made by the padres and the Indians.
Location. 32° 47.092′ N, 117° 6.363′ W. Marker Click for map. Marker is located in the garden of the Mission. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10818 San Diego Mission Road, San Diego CA 92108, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Campanario (within shouting distance of this marker); El Camino Real (within shouting distance of this marker); Mission San Diego de Alcala (within shouting distance of this marker); La Playa Trail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); San Diego State University (approx. 2 miles away); The Freedom Tree (approx. 3.9 miles away); Fort Stockton (approx. 5.3 miles away); Mission Dam and Flume (approx. 5.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in San Diego.
Regarding The Church. This site has been designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No.242.
State Landmark Description:
On Sunday, July 16, 1769, Fathers Junípero Serra, Juan Vizcaino, and Fernando Parrón raised and blessed a cross to establish Alta California's first mission. Relocated from Presidio Hill to this site in August 1774, the mission was the Mother of those founded in California by the Franciscan Order. The present buildings, first completed in 1813, were rebuilt in stages from 1915 to 1931
Also see . . .
1. California Mission History – Mission San Diego de Alcala. (Submitted on December 18, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
2. Mission San Diego History. (Submitted on December 18, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,413 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.