Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Clarkesville in Habersham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Living & Learning In The Mountains

 
 
Living & Learning In The Mountains Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, October 22, 2005
1. Living & Learning In The Mountains Marker
Inscription. Three local citizens, W. M. Loggans, B. B. Heyward and W. P. Furr, donated 300 acres of prime farm land to entice location of the Ninth District School of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts, a boarding high school, on this site. Since 1906, thousands have come here to learn a wide range of subjects. Here they made new friends, formed lifelong relationships and prepared for good livelihoods. “The A & M School" operated until 1933; closing due to the Great Depression.

Habersham School Supt. Claude Purcell purchased the site from the state for a dollar and due to his foresight and with the support of President Roosevelt’s National Youth Administration, Habersham College opened in 1938. The coeducational vocational school closed when the NYA lost funding in 1943, in the midst of World War II.

In 1943, Georgia Legislature created the Vocational Division of the Dept. of Education which used the assets of Habersham College to open the first state ~ operated technical school, North Georgia Trade and Vocational School. In 1985, NGTVS became a part of the new State Board of Technical and Adult Education and today the name is North Georgia Technical Institute. Citizens continue to come here to live and learn before seeking success in the working world.
 
Erected 1993 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 068-11.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 34° 38.336′ N, 83° 31.849′ W. Marker is near Clarkesville, Georgia, in Habersham County. Marker is on Georgia Route 197 0.1 miles south of Sutton Mill Road, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at the entrance to the North Georgia Technical Institute. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1500 Highway 197 North, Clarkesville GA 30523, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Clarkesville War Memorial (approx. 1.6 miles away); Habersham County (approx. 1.6 miles away); Grace Protestant Episcopal Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); Toombs-Bleckley House (approx. 1.9 miles away); Summer Home of Joseph Habersham (approx. 2.4 miles away); The Unicoi Turnpike (approx. 3.1 miles away); Habersham Iron Works & Mfg. Co. (approx. 3.8 miles away); Piedmont College (approx. 5.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Clarkesville.
 
Also see . . .  North Georgia Technical College from New Georgia Encyclopedia. (Submitted on December 22, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
 
Categories. 20th CenturyEducation
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 945 times since then and 35 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement