Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near McDonough in Henry County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Shingleroof Campground

 
 
Shingleroof Campground Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, March 1, 2008
1. Shingleroof Campground Marker
Inscription. Shortly after this section of land in Henry County was ceded to the State of Georgia by the Creek Indians in the Treaty of Indian Springs in 1823, camp meetings were held here under brush arbors. In 1831, 100 1/4 acres of land was purchased by the Trustees of the Methodist Campmeeting Ground for the sum of $280.00. It became known as Shingleroof in 1873 when the brush arbors were replaced by “tents” with wooden shingle roofs. In 1861-65, it served as the mustering ground and staging area for Confederate troops and later for their reunions. Competitive church groups singing for awards held day long Sunday School Celebrations here in the 1890īs and early 1900īs. From its founding, the campground has served not only as an ecumenical gathering place, but also as a site for family reunions and civic activities. Shingleroof is among the oldest active campgrounds in the State of Georgia.
 
Erected 1981 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 075-9.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 29.152′ N, 84° 8.655′ W. Marker is near McDonough, Georgia, in Henry County. Marker is at the intersection of Decatur Road (Georgia Route 155) and Shingle Roof Drive, on the right when traveling south on Decatur Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: McDonough GA 30253, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Right Wing at McDonough (approx. 2.1 miles away); Henry County (approx. 2.6 miles away); The Orphan Brigade (approx. 6.6 miles away); The Right Wing at Stockbridge (approx. 6.8 miles away); Locomotive Bell from the Nancy Hanks (approx. 8.7 miles away); Kilpatrick's Raid at the Nash Farm (approx. 8.7 miles away); "The Old Bronze Gentleman of Lovejoy's Station" (approx. 8.7 miles away); Kilpatrick's Raid (approx. 8.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in McDonough.
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USChurches, Etc.War, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,404 times since then and 78 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement