Greenville in Greenville County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
90 mm M-2 Anti-Aircraft Gun
This type of gun was adopted in 1942 and was used mainly against enemy planes. It was used in both the European and Pacific Theaters of Operation during World War II (1941-1945). The 90 mm M-2 AA gun could fire at airplanes up to an altitude of 33,000 feet. Shells were set to explode when they reached a certain altitude. The men who fired this type of gun were known as ack-ack crews. It could be used as a field gun for bombardment and as an anti-tank gun as well. These guns usually operated in batteries consisting of four guns. There are many devices on this gun that had to be operated in order to fire it. Some gun crews had as many as thirteen men working to carry the large shells, set the fuses, load them, operate the dials, and fire the gun. Gun emplacements were covered by camouflage nets to make them harder to see from the air. These guns were usually dug into circular pits about four feet deep and twenty feet across. It took about twelve hours of hard work to get the gun in place to fire it. The 90 mm M-2 AA gun was used to protect Air Force bases and military installations as late as the mid 1950's.
Location. 34° 51.4′ N, 82° 23.75′ W. Marker is in Greenville, South Carolina, in Greenville County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Click for map. Marker is located in the northwest corner of the American Legion War Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 430 North Main Street, Greenville SC 29605, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 75 mm Field Gun / 3 inch M1903 (within shouting distance of this marker); 6 inch Field Howitzer Model of 1908 (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Kershaw Brigade (about 600 feet away); In Memory of 81st Wildcat Division / Camp Sevier (about 600 feet away); SC Ordinance of Secession (about 600 feet away); Confederate Armory (about 600 feet away); Eighty Unnamed Soldiers (about 600 feet away); McPherson Park (about 700 feet away); General Robert E. Lee (about 700 feet away); Greenville County Confederate Monument (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Greenville.
Also see . . .
1. 90 mm gun. The American 90 mm family of guns served as primary heavy anti-aircraft and anti-tank guns, playing a role similar to the renowned German 88 mm gun. (Submitted on December 20, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. M2 90mm Anti-Aircraft Artillery. The 90mm Anti-Aircraft Artillery was a high-velocity replacement for the 3-inch M1918 gun, (Submitted on December 20, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. 90 mm M-2 Anti-Aircraft Gun. Replacing the aging 3-inch gun as the staple of Army heavy antiaircraft artillery at the dawn of the war, the 90mm gun went on to earn a well deserved place among the finest artillery pieces fielded by the Allies in World War II. (Submitted on December 20, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Categories. • 20th Century • Military •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 4,342 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.