Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Petersburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Battle of Petersburg

25 April 1781

 

—British Line of Attack —

 
Battle of Petersburg Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, April 23, 2006
1. Battle of Petersburg Marker
This photo looks west towards the city of Petersburg, and in the direction of the British advance.
Inscription. On 24 Apr. 1781, Maj. Gen. William Phillips’s force of 2,500 British regulars landed at City Point, 12 miles to the east on the James River, as part of a major campaign to disrupt the American force’s main line of communication through Virginia. The next morning, Phillips marched his troops along River Road toward Petersburg. Shortly before noon, he and Brig. Gen. Benedict Arnold formed their line of battle in this vicinity and launched their attack on the first line of 500 Virginia militiamen positioned to defend Petersburg one-quarter of a mile west in Blandford.
 
Erected 2005 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number QA 21.)
 
Location. 37° 14.341′ N, 77° 22.44′ W. Marker is in Petersburg, Virginia. Marker is on Washington Street (Virginia Route 36), on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is located next to the railroad tracks on Washington Street, just west of Courthouse Road. Marker is in this post office area: Petersburg VA 23803, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Maine Heavy Artillery Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hare House Site (approx. half a mile away); Prince George Court House Road
City Point Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, April 23, 2006
2. City Point
The British forces landed at this site on April 24, 1781, the day before the Battle of Petersburg. It is located about 12 miles east of the marker.
(approx. half a mile away); Colquitt’s Salient Trail (approx. half a mile away); Wasted Valor (approx. half a mile away); Colquitt’s Salient (approx. half a mile away); Siege of Petersburg—Lee Strikes Back (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fort Stedman (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Petersburg.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
 
Also see . . .  Battle of Blanford, also called the Battle of Petersburg. “Around 2:00 pm Phillips halted his column, then about one mile (1.6 km) from the American lines, and organized his forces for battle. On his right, Colonel Robert Abercrombie was to lead a battalion of light infantry and the company of 50 jägers along the river to drive the American left back to the Pocahontas Bridge. Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Dundas was to lead the 78th and 80th Foot to attempt a flanking maneuver against the American right, and Phillips held the second light infantry battalion and the Loyalist units of Simcoe and Arnold in reserve.” (Submitted on April 23, 2016.) 
 
Categories. War, US Revolutionary
 
Grave of British Gen. Phillips Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, April 23, 2006
3. Grave of British Gen. Phillips
British Maj. Gen. William Phillips died in Petersburg shortly after the battle. He is buried in Blandford Cemetery, about a ½ mile west of the marker.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 784 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement