Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Second Baptist Church
Was founded December 26, 1802
by Rev. Henry Cunningham and
Twenty-five other Baptists.
General William T. Sherman and
Secretary of War, Edwin M. Stanton
met with the Negroes of this city
and the newly freed slaves at
Second Baptist Church when Savannah
surrendered to General Sherman in
This Marker Erected in Commemoration
of the Bicentennial of our Country
Erected 1976 by City of Savannah.
Location. 32° 4.591′ N, 81° 5.174′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is at the intersection of Houston Street and East State Street, on the left when traveling south on Houston Street. Click for map. Located on Greene Square. Marker is at or near this postal address: 123 Houston Street, Savannah GA 31401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Houstoun Street/York Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonial Town Gate (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); John B. Hohenstein, Sr. (about 700 feet away); Washington Fire Company Rev’d A. Dale Umbreit (about 700 feet away); A. Douglass Strobhar (about 700 feet away); Police Officers Monument (about 800 feet away); The Georgia Medical Society (about 800 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Savannah.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 744 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.