Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Springfield in Effingham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Effingham County Methodist Camp Ground

1790

 
 
Effingham County Methodist Camp Ground Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, August 16, 2005
1. Effingham County Methodist Camp Ground Marker
Inscription. Effingham Camp Meeting has the longest record of continuous service in South Georgia - from 1790 according to oral tradition. The first camp ground was off Sisterís Ferry Road on land of George Powledge, later sold to Gideon Mallette. In 1864 this site was burned during Shermanís March to the Sea. In 1865 and 1866 encampment was held at Turkey Branch Methodist Church. In 1867, the camp ground was rebuilt on the Edward Bird tract at Springfield. In 1907, the present site was occupied after an exchange with G.M. Brinson. August encampment includes the third Sunday.
 
Erected 1990 by South Georgia Conference, United Methodist Church.
 
Location. 32° 21.303′ N, 81° 18.135′ W. Marker is in Springfield, Georgia, in Effingham County. Marker is on South Laurel Street (Old Georgia Route 21) 0 miles north of Ash Street Extension, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Springfield GA 31329, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sherman's Left Wing (approx. 0.9 miles away); Effingham County Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away); Confederate Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away); Effingham County (approx. 1.5 miles away); Old Ebenezer (approx. 2.1 miles away); Jerusalem (Ebenezer) Church (approx. 3 miles away); Historic Taverns on this Road (approx. 4.7 miles away); Bethany (approx. 5.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Springfield.
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USChurches, Etc.War, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,651 times since then and 64 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement