Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ettrick in Chesterfield County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Ettrick

 
 
Ettrick Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, November 22, 2008
1. Ettrick Marker
Inscription. The site of an Appomattox Indian village burned in 1676 in Bacon's Rebellion, the present town of Ettrick stands on land that belonged to "Ettrick Banks" and "Matoax," the boyhood plantation of John Randolph of Roanoke. In 1810 Campbell's Bridge connected Ettrick with Petersburg, hastening development of mills on the river. Virginia State University, formerly known as The Virginia Normal and Collegiate Institute, was established here in 1882.
 
Erected 1981 by Citizens of Ettrick. (Marker Number K 204.)
 
Location. 37° 13.988′ N, 77° 25.073′ W. Marker is in Ettrick, Virginia, in Chesterfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Fleet Street (State Highway 36) and Chesterfield Avenue (State Highway 36), on the right when traveling north on Fleet Street. Click for map. Located on the north side of a bridge over the Appomattox River. Marker is in this post office area: Petersburg VA 23803, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Campbell's Bridge (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Appomattox River Heritage Trail (about 400 feet away); The First Methodist Meeting House (approx. 0.2
Ettrick Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, November 22, 2008
2. Ettrick Marker
miles away); Grace Episcopal Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Henry (approx. 0.6 miles away); Tavern Park (approx. 0.6 miles away); Concrete Bunker (approx. 0.6 miles away); Rock Garden (approx. 0.6 miles away).
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
Ettrick Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain
3. Ettrick
Looking over the modern Appomattox River bridge, the town of Ettrick and the mills in the photo were spread across the hill on the north side of the river. Upstream, to the left, was Merchant's Island, used as a prisoner of war camp for a time during the war.
Wartime Photo of Ettrick and the Mills Photo, Click for full size
4. Wartime Photo of Ettrick and the Mills
(Civil War photographs, 1861-1865 / compiled by Hirst D. Milhollen and Donald H. Mugridge, Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress, 1977. No. 0447, Call number: LC-B817- 7113[P&P])
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 955 times since then and 73 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   3, 4. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement