Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chillicothe in Ross County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Abrams’ Big House

 
 
Abrams' Big House Marker Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., December 21, 2008
1. Abrams' Big House Marker
Inscription. With the Division Act of 1800, the U.S. Congress divided the Northwest Territory at a line essentially the present boundary of Indiana and Ohio. The Indiana Territory stood west of the line. The name Northwest Territory was retained for the land east of the line and Chillicothe became its capital. The legislature for the territory convened in Chillicothe in November 1800. Since there were no public buildings in which the legislature could meet, its session was held in a two-story log house that stood on this site called “Abrams' Big House.” It was so called for its owner, Basil Abrams. During the War of 1812, the building served as the barracks for the 19th U.S. Regiment of Infantry. Thereafter, it was known as the “old barracks” until it was razed circa 1840.
 
Erected 2003 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, The Chillicothe & Ross County 2003 Commission, The Ross County Historical Society, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 10-72.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 39° 20.047′ N, 82° 59.139′ W. Marker is in Chillicothe, Ohio, in Ross County
Abrams' Big House Marker Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., December 21, 2008
2. Abrams' Big House Marker
. Marker is at the intersection of Walnut Street and 2nd Street, on the left when traveling north on Walnut Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chillicothe OH 45601, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Court of Ross County (here, next to this marker); The Chillicothe Gazette (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Historic Site in Journalism (about 700 feet away); A Replica of Ohio's First Capitol (about 700 feet away); Quinn Chapel African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Church (about 800 feet away); Donald E. McHenry (approx. 0.2 miles away); Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of Ohio (approx. 0.2 miles away); Court House Renovation (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Chillicothe.
 
More about this marker. According to Ohio Historical Society numbering conventions, this marker should be numbered 10-71.
 
Categories. GovernmentMilitaryNotable PlacesPatriots & PatriotismSettlements & SettlersWar of 1812
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 833 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement