Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chillicothe in Ross County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Birthplace of Lucy Ware Webb Hayes / Lucy Webb Hayes, 1831 - 1889

 
 
Birthplace of Lucy Ware Webb Hayes Marker (Side A) image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., December 21, 2008
1. Birthplace of Lucy Ware Webb Hayes Marker (Side A)
Inscription.
Side A:

Birthplace of Lucy Ware Webb Hayes

First Lady Lucy Ware Webb Hayes was born in this four-room Federal Vernacular house in 1831. Well educated for her time, she attended local schools, took classes in the preparatory department of Ohio Wesleyan University in Delaware, and graduated from Wesleyan Female College in Cincinnati in 1850. She married lawyer and future U.S. President Rutherford B. Hayes in 1852. They raised five children to adulthood. As a colonel's wife during the Civil War, “Mother Lucy” boosted morale for the soldiers of the 23rd Ohio Volunteer Infantry regiment. In 1870, during Hayes' first term as governor of Ohio, Lucy helped establish the Ohio Soldiers' and Sailors' Orphans' Home as a state institution. (Continued on other side)

Side B:
Lucy Webb Hayes, 1831-1889

During Rutherford B. Hayes' 1877-1881 presidential term, Mrs. Hayes brought temperance to the White House and established lasting traditions, including the Easter “Egg Roll” and the eagle logo on the White House stationery. Politically astute and forthright, Lucy earned widespread admiration and became the first “First Lady” so titled. She died in 1889 and is interred at Spiegel Grove in Fremont. Built circa 1825 and rented in 1826 by Lucy's parents,
Lucy Webb Hayes, 1831 - 1889 Marker (Side B) image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., December 21, 2008
2. Lucy Webb Hayes, 1831 - 1889 Marker (Side B)
Dr. James and Maria Cook Webb, the house was moved here from its original East Fourth Street location in 1883. The Chillicothe Restoration Foundation saved it from demolition in 1968. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973 as part of the Chillicothe Old Residential District. The Ross County Commissioners completed restoration in 1985.
 
Erected 2001 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, The Friends of Lucy, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 6-71.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 39° 19.728′ N, 82° 59.034′ W. Marker is in Chillicothe, Ohio, in Ross County. Marker is at the intersection of 6th Street and Walnut Street, on the right when traveling east on 6th Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 90 W. 6th Street, Chillicothe OH 45601, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Burton Egbert Stevenson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ross County Civil War Memorial (approx. mile away); The Chillicothe Gazette (approx. 0.3 miles away); A Replica of Ohio's First Capitol
Birthplace of Lucy Ware Webb Hayes image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr.
3. Birthplace of Lucy Ware Webb Hayes
(approx. 0.3 miles away); Historic Site in Journalism (approx. 0.3 miles away); Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of Ohio (approx. 0.3 miles away); Court House Renovation (approx. 0.3 miles away); Donald E. McHenry (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Chillicothe.
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkEducationGovernmentNotable BuildingsNotable PersonsPatriots & Patriotism
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 842 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement