Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Claymont in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Church of the Ascension

 
 
Church of the Ascension Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Beverly Pfingsten, November 22, 2008
1. Church of the Ascension Marker
Inscription. The roots of this congregation can be traced to 1843 and the missionary efforts of the Rev. Greenbury W. Ridgely and the Rt. Rev. Alfred Lee, who conducted services every other Sunday in the Claymont Stone School. The church was accepted into the Episcopal Diocese of Delaware as an organized congregation on May 28, 1851. The Rev. Ridgely was elected the first Rector. The first church was erected on property donated by the Rev. John B. Clemson, on the corner of Church Lane and Philadelphia Pike. It was consecrated by Bishop Lee on September 14, 1854. The building was moved across the street to its present location in 1927, and attached to the newly constructed stone parish hall. The church was named for the Church of the Ascension in New York City. It was one of the first churches to offer Sunday school to black children in the area.

As the congregation prospered in the 1960s under the leadership of the Rev. John C. Scobell, the church was enlarged. A new wing for Sunday school rooms and offices was also constructed. The sanctuary was further renovated with the addition of thirteen stained glass windows donated by parishioners between 1979 and 2001.
 
Erected 2002 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-123.)
 
Location. 39° 
Church of the Ascension Photo, Click for full size
By Beverly Pfingsten, November 22, 2008
2. Church of the Ascension
48.297′ N, 75° 27.232′ W. Marker is in Claymont, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on Philadelphia Pike 0.1 miles north of Darley Road. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3717 Philadelphia Pike, Claymont DE 19703, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Darley House (within shouting distance of this marker); Claymont Stone School (within shouting distance of this marker); Archmere (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Claymont High School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Robinson House (approx. mile away); Grubb/Worth Mansion (approx. mile away); Hickman Row (approx. 0.9 miles away); Village of Arden (approx. 1.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Claymont.
 
Also see . . .  Church of the Ascension website. (Submitted on December 26, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,045 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement