HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Claymont in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Old Claymont High School
 
Old Claymont High School Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Beverly Pfingsten, November 22, 2008
1. Old Claymont High School Marker
 
Inscription. Constructed 1924-25. Also known as the Green Street School. Prominent in United States history as the first public high school in the 17 segregated states to be legally integrated.

In January 1951, eight black students applied for admission. Due to the “separate but equal” education system in place at that time, the Claymont Board of Education was unable to permit their entry. In July 1951, noted civil rights attorney Louis L. Redding of Wilmington filed a civil action suit seeking the students’ admission. On April 1, 1952, Delaware Chancellor Collins J. Seitz rendered his landmark decision, declaring that opportunities for black students in local schools were not equal to those of whites, and that the situation should be remedied immediately. This decision was upheld by the Delaware Supreme Court. On September 3, 1952, the Claymont Board voted to admit 12 students, who with their parents, the board, and Redding, swiftly made legal preparation for their admission September 4. When school administrators were ordered September 5 by the State Board of Education and Delaware Attorney General to send the students home to await a U.S. Supreme Court ruling, Claymont Superintendent H.E. Stahl and the local Board refused, successfully insisting that the students stay enrolled. Mrs. Pauline Dyson, a long-time teacher of Claymont’s
 
Old Claymont High School Photo, Click for full size
By Beverly Pfingsten, November 22, 2008
2. Old Claymont High School
 
black students, worked closely with school district officials and the community to ensure success of the effort. The Delaware case was later included for argument in the famous Brown vs. Board of Education suit. Claymont’s first integrated class graduated in 1954.
 
Erected 1997 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-99.)
 
Location. 39° 48.134′ N, 75° 27.887′ W. Marker is in Claymont, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is at the intersection of Green Street and Lawson Street, on the right when traveling south on Green Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Claymont DE 19703, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Archmere (approx. half a mile away); Claymont Stone School (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Darley House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Church of the Ascension (approx. 0.6 miles away); Robinson House (approx. 1.3 miles away); A Pathway through the Past (approx. 2.1 miles away); The Cauffiel House and Estate (approx. 2.1 miles away); Chester-Bethel United Methodist Church Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Claymont.
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on December 26, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,762 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 26, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 160 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.