Blackstone in Nottoway County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Black’s and White’s Station
—Wilson – Kautz Raid —
“Having nothing to destroy at Black’s and White’s [Kautz’s force] moved on, the advance body going up the railroad to Nottoway Court House which they did not burn but left for the rear (Wilson’s) force to do.” - Capt. Richard Irby, Nottoway County Commissary Officer
“General Pryor advised
Sidebar: Lt. Col. Banastre Tarleton
Eighty-three years before the Wilson-Kautz Raid, in July 1781 during the Revolutionary War, Schwartz’s Tavern and several other sites were the subjects of another cavalry raid. British Gen. Charles Cornwallis ordered Lt. Col. Banastre Tarleton and 300 cavalrymen from Cobham (site of the present Jamestown Ferry) to Bedford County to destroy Continental supply and ammunition depots at Amelia Court House and Prince Edward Court House. Tarleton’s command passed through Prince George, Burkeville, Meherrin (then Moore’s Ordinary), Charlotte Court House, Flat Creek, Blackstone, and Smokey Ordinary, all of which figured in the Wilson-Kautz Raid. During Tarleton’s raid, his men had the famous fight with Peter Francisco at Benjamin Ward’s Tavern on West Creek, just outside of present day Crewe. In addition to supplies destroyed, Tarleton’s expedition tied up more than 2,000 Virginia militia and Continental troops who might otherwise have reinforced Gen. Nathanael Greene in North Carolina.
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 37° 4.883′ N, 77° 59.777′ W. Marker is in Blackstone, Virginia, in Nottoway County. Marker is on Tavern Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is located in front of Schwartz Tavern. Marker is in this post office area: Blackstone VA 23824, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Blackstone (approx. 0.3 miles away); Nottoway Training School (approx. half a mile away); Blackstone College (approx. 0.7 miles away); Jamestown Oaks (approx. 0.9 miles away); Blackstone Female Institute (approx. 0.9 miles away); Creation of Camp Pickett (approx. 1.5 miles away); Union Academy (approx. 1.7 miles away); Fort Pickett (approx. 2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Blackstone.
More about this marker. The bottom left of the marker contains an etching by Edwin Forbes of Union soldiers ripping up rail lines. The sidebar also features a portrait of British Lt. Col. Banastre Tarleton.
Regarding Black’s and White’s Station. Schwartz Tavern was originally operated by John A. Schwartz. Since Schwartz is German for Black, his tavern was known as Black's. Another tavern in Blackstone was operated by a man named White. The crossroads stop for stagecoaches was called Black's and White's after the two rival tavern keepers. The name remained the same until 1886 when citizens adopted the name of the noted English jurist, Blackstone.
Also see . . . Southside Virginia & Lee's Retreat. Wilson-Kautz Raid. Civil War Traveler website. (Submitted on December 27, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Notable Events • Notable Places • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,354 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.