Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Prince George in Prince George County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Prince George Court House

”Destroy both those roads”

 

—Wilson – Kautz Raid —

 
Prince George Court House Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, April 25, 2007
1. Prince George Court House Marker
Inscription. In June 1864, Gen. U.S. Grant began to confine Gen. Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia within the Richmond and Petersburg defenses. The South Side R.R., connecting Petersburg and Lynchburg, and the Richmond and Danville R.R. supplied Lee’s men. The two lines formed a junction in Burkesville. Seeking to deny their use to Lee, Grant directed Gen. James H. Wilson’s 3,000-man cavalry division and Gen. August V. Kautz’s division (2,500 cavalrymen) with three batteries of regular U.S. artillery to ”destroy both those roads to the greatest extent possible, continuing their destruction until driven from it by such attacks of the enemy, as you can no longer resist.” The detachment left from Mt. Sinai Church in Prince George County at 2 a.m. on June 22, in a column containing 30 to 40 supply wagons and two to four mountain howitzers in Kautz’s command. Federal II and VI Corps attempts to seize the Weldon Railroad in the Battle of Jerusalem Plank Road helped cover the raider’s departure.

”Left camp at daybreak with five days rations; had been up nearly all night making preparations…. We were informed that we must make our five days’ rations last ten days. Wagonloads of provisions had been sent out to supply the officers. Several of us clubbed together and bought enough coffee and sugar to last us…. A
Markers at the Prince George Court House Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, April 25, 2007
2. Markers at the Prince George Court House
There are two Virginia Civil War Trails markers at this location. The Wilson–Kautz Raid marker is the one on the right.
sergeant in Wilson’s command whom I met, in speaking of our proposed raid said we would have a ‘skedaddle’ before we got back…. In thinking of his remark afterward [I] thought he had been prophetic.”
- Trooper George L. Cruikshank, Co. A, 11th Pennsylvania Cavalry


Sidebar: The present Prince George County courthouse, with its 1929 arcade, was completed in 1884 to replace the 1810 courthouse that Federal troops burned in 1864. The older building, which was restored after the war but later demolished, stood about a quarter-mile west.
 
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
 
Location. 37° 13.255′ N, 77° 17.237′ W. Marker is in Prince George, Virginia, in Prince George County. Marker is on Courthouse Road (Virginia Route 106), on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is one of two Civil War Trail markers located near the Court House. Marker is in this post office area: Prince George VA 23875, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Prince George Court House (here, next to this marker); Confederate Soldiers of Prince George Co. (within shouting distance of this marker); History at Prince George Courthouse (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jordan's Point (approx. 2.6 miles away); Bailey's Creek (approx. 2.6 miles away); The Beefsteak Raid (approx. 2.6 miles away); New Bohemia, VA (approx. 3.1 miles away); U.S. Colored Troops (approx. 3.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Prince George.
 
More about this marker. The top of the marker contains a sketch of Union cavalrymen by Edwin Forbes, and photographs of Generals U.S. Grant, James H. Wilson and August V. Kautz.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Take a Virtual Tour by Markers of the Wilson-Kautz Raid.
 
Also see . . .  Southside Virginia & Lee's Retreat. Wilson-Kautz Raid. Civil War Traveler website. (Submitted on December 28, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 
 
Categories. Notable PlacesWar, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 713 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement