Inscription. The Old Coffee Road, earliest vehicular and postal route of this area, passed here, running some 120 miles from the Ocmulgee River via today´s Lax,
Nashville, Cecil, Barwick and Thomasville to the Florida Line above Tallahassee. The thoroughfare was opened by direction of the State in 1823 under the superintendence of General John Coffee and Thomas Swain. This pioneer route played a leading part in the settlement and development of Southwest Georgia. Much of the former course continues in daily use.
By David Seibert, 10.2005
|1. Old Coffee Road Marker|
Erected 2000 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 136-3.)
Location. 30° 53.4′ N, 83° 44.45′ W. Marker is in Barwick, Georgia, in Thomas County. Marker is at the intersection of Cedar Street (Georgia Route 33) and Coffee Road, on the right when traveling north on Cedar Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Barwick GA 31720, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Bethel Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 8.8 miles away); a different marker also named Old Coffee Road (approx. 9.8 miles away); Liberty Baptist Church (approx. 11.6 miles away); Grooverville Methodist Church (approx. 11.6 miles away); West End Cemetery (approx. 12.6 miles away); Brooks County (approx. 13 miles away); Civil War Slave Conspiracy (approx. 13 miles away); Bethlehem Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 13.3 miles away).
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Tracing the route of the Old Coffee Road.
Credits. This page originally submitted on December 28, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 516 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on December 28, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |