Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sacramento in Sacramento County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Sisters of Mercy

 
 
Sisters of Mercy Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Syd Whittle, December 28, 2008
1. Sisters of Mercy Marker
Inscription. During the Gold Rush Days of 1857, the Sisters of Mercy came to Sacramento to care for the children of the miners and to serve the sick and the homeless.

In those early days, the Sisters purchased land in the heart of the city to build a school. Passage of the “Capital Bill”, in 1860 resulted in the sale of that property to the State for its original price of $4,850. This is now the site of the State Capital Building.

The Sisters of Mercy have made significant contributions to the history and progress of the State of California. Their mission to care for the sick, the poor, the elderly and the uneducated continues today throughout the world.
 
Erected 1986 by The Mercy Foundation, December 12, 1986.
 
Location. 38° 34.616′ N, 121° 29.572′ W. Marker is in Sacramento, California, in Sacramento County. Click for map. Marker and Monument are located on the grounds of the State Capital Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10th and L Streets, Sacramento CA 95814, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Sisters of Mercy (here, next to this marker); Pinus Pinea (within shouting distance of this marker);
Sisters of Mercy Marker and Monument image, Click for more information
By Syd Whittle, December 28, 2008
2. Sisters of Mercy Marker and Monument
This marker is located on the left. A second Sisters of Mercy marker is on the right.

Click for more information.
California State Capitol (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Civil War Symbol Yields To Time (about 300 feet away); USS California Bell Memorial (about 400 feet away); Thomas Starr King (about 400 feet away); Kenneth L. Maddy (about 400 feet away); Pioneer Camellia Grove (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Sacramento.
 
Regarding Sisters of Mercy. The Sisters of Mercy arrived in San Francisco on
December 8, 1854, to respond to the city’s greatest needs: the
untended sick, the destitute, abused women, orphaned children,
and the uneducated. Known as “walking nuns,” they visited
shanties and county hospitals and were the first females to visit a
state penitentiary, San Quentin prison.
 
Also see . . .
1. SCR No. 99—Relative to honoring the Sisters of Mercy. (Submitted on December 29, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
2. History of the Sisters of Mercy in the Americas. (Submitted on December 29, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
 
Categories. 20th CenturyChurches, Etc.EducationNotable EventsNotable PersonsNotable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
 
Close Up of Artwork on Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Syd Whittle, December 28, 2008
3. Close Up of Artwork on Marker
Sisters of Mercy Sculpture Photo, Click for full size
By Syd Whittle, December 28, 2008
4. Sisters of Mercy Sculpture
One part of the sculpture depicts Mother Russell firmly guiding a worried mother and gravely ill child on a stretcher to the hospital. Another part is a nurse guiding a young Chinese girl, similar to the girls coerced into prostitution and rescued by the sisters who provided a safe haven.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,829 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement