“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Havre de Grace in Harford County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

Dangerous Waters

Dangerous Waters Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, June 24, 2007
1. Dangerous Waters Marker
Inscription. On the point where the mighty Susquehanna River meets the Chesapeake Bay stands the lighthouse that protected vessels from dangerous waters for 148 years.

Built in 1827 to protect vessels from dangerous shoals and currents at the mouth of the Susquehanna River, the Concord Point Lighthouse served faithfully until it was decommissioned by the U.S. Coast Guard in 1975. In 1979, The Friends of Concord Point Lighthouse formed to preserve the lighthouse and keep a light burning in the tower.

The lighthouse was built by a prominent lighthouse contractor, John Donohoo. Donohoo, a native of Harford County, built 12 of the first Chesapeake Bay lighthouses. Donohoo also served as Havre de Grade town commissioner in the early 1800s.

The lighthouse is built from Port Deposit granite and has an unusual black 9 sided lantern. The stone walls at the base of the tower are 3 feet 11 inches thick and the tower is 36 feet tall. The light could be seen 8½ miles away. Originally lit with 9 whale oil lamps, the light became electrified and automated in 1920. This lighthouse was very well built and has needed few repairs over the years.

At the end of the Revolutionary War, the town of Havre de Grace renamed many of its streets to celebrate. Concord Street was named for the first victory of the war, the battle
Concord Point Lighthouse image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, June 24, 2007
2. Concord Point Lighthouse
of Concord in 1775. And so, the lighthouse, which stands at the end of Concord Street on a point was named Concord Point Lighthouse.

In the 1800s, keel boats traveling down the Susquehanna River with goods to sell and bay schooners sailing up the bay were at risk here. These boats were made of wood and could easily break on the rocks at the mouth of the river. This lighthouse safeguarded the heavy merchant traffic of this area.
Location. 39° 32.447′ N, 76° 5.112′ W. Marker is in Havre de Grace, Maryland, in Harford County. Marker is at the intersection of Concord Street and Lafayette Street, on the left on Concord Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Havre de Grace MD 21078, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Concord Point Lighthouse (here, next to this marker); Keeper of the Light (here, next to this marker); Havre de Grace (here, next to this marker); The Concord Point Light Keeper’s House and Property (here, next to this marker); Hero's Reward (within shouting distance of this marker); John O'Neill (within shouting distance of this marker); Susquehanna River/Chesapeake Bay (within shouting distance of this marker); Principio Destroyed (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Havre de Grace.
Categories. LandmarksNotable BuildingsWaterways & Vessels
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,565 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement