Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

First Christian Church

(Disciples of Christ)

 
 
First Christian Church Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, July 17, 2005
1. First Christian Church Marker
Inscription. The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) began in Kentucky in the early years of the nineteenth century. Dr. Daniel Hook and Captain and Mrs. Edward Campfield established Augusta’s First Christian Church in 1835, despite great suspicion and negativity from more established Protestant denominations. Philanthropist Emily Tubman aided the fledgling congregation by donating the first building (later Tubman High School for girls), convincing Georgia lawyer James S. Lamar to study and to become the church’s pastor in 1852, and donating new buildings for the church’s relocation to Greene and McIntosh Streets in 1874. Restoration of the structure began in 1989.
 
Erected 2005 by Georgia Historical Society and the Congregation of First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). (Marker Number 121-9.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 28.354′ N, 81° 57.834′ W. Marker is in Augusta, Georgia, in Richmond County. Marker is on Greene Street (Georgia Route 28) near 7th (McIntosh) Street, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 629 Greene St, Augusta GA 30901, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At
First Christian Church Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, July 2008
2. First Christian Church Marker
least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Emily Tubman Monument (a few steps from this marker); Joseph R. Lamar, Associate Justice (within shouting distance of this marker); Boyhood Home of Woodrow Wilson (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); General George Washington (about 500 feet away); The First Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named The First Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away); Two Early Augusta Churches (about 600 feet away); Army National Guard (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Augusta.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Notable Buildings
 
First Christian Church Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud
3. First Christian Church
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,107 times since then and 59 times this year. Last updated on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos:   1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement