Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
McCormick in McCormick County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

McCormick County Confederate Monument

1861-1865

 
 
McCormick County Confederate Monument - East Side image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, December 23, 2008
1. McCormick County Confederate Monument - East Side
Inscription.
[East]:
In Honor of the
Confederate Soldiers
from
McCormick County
This monument perpetuates
the memory of those who,
true to the instincts of
their birth, faithful to the
teachings of their fathers,
constant in their love for
the South, offered their
lives and fortunes in the
performance of their duty.

[West]:
Presented by
McCormick County Historical
Society to Commemorate
the Tricentennial of South
Carolina ∑∑∑∑∑ 1970.

 
Erected 1970 by McCormick County Historical Society.
 
Location. 33° 54.617′ N, 82° 17.667′ W. Marker is in McCormick, South Carolina, in McCormick County. Marker is on Augusta Street Extension (State Highway S-33-54) 0.1 miles south of Mine Street (U.S. 221). Click for map. Marker is located left of the McCormick County Courthouse front (northeast side) entrance. Marker is in this post office area: Mc Cormick SC 29835, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. McCormick County Veterans Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); McCormick Train Station (about 700 feet away, measured
McCormick County Confederate Monument - West Side image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, December 23, 2008
2. McCormick County Confederate Monument - West Side
in a direct line); McCormick County / MACK (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dorn Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dornís Mill / Dorn Gold Mine (approx. ľ mile away but has been reported missing); Badwell / Badwell Cemetery (approx. 2.5 miles away); Welcome to Baker Creek State Park (approx. 4.1 miles away); Long Canes Massacre (approx. 5.4 miles away); Long Cane Associated Reformed Presbyterian Church (approx. 5.4 miles away); Edmunds Family History / Samuel Calhoun Edmunds (approx. 5.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in McCormick.
 
Also see . . .  McCormick County Courthouse. The McCormick County Courthouse is a two-story brick building built in 1923 in the Neo-Classical style. (Submitted on December 31, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 
 
Additional comments.
1. About the McCormick County Confederate Monument
The McCormick County Historical Society erected this eight-foot monument in September 1970. The monument honors
McCormick County Confederate Monument image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, December 23, 2008
3. McCormick County Confederate Monument
The building in the background is the McCormick County Courthouse, listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
the Confederate soldiers who came from the wartime districts of Abbeville and Edgefield, from which McCormick County was created in 1916. The Monument Commission was composed of Archie J. Lewis, principal of the John de la Howe School; Charlie C. Morgan, III, incoming president of the historical society; and Mrs. J.O. Cavan, outgoing president of the historical society. Public contributions paid for the monument. The John de la Howe School shop class placed the foundation. The Honorable Julius H. Baggett delivered the dedication address. Dr. J.M. Lesesne, retired president of Erskine College, was also present at the dedication ceremony. The granite came from Elberton, Georgia. This monument was the only Confederate monument to be erected in McCormick County and the last Confederate monument to be placed on a courthouse lawn in South Carolina. The inscription was written by William Henry Trescot and was copied from the north face of the South Carolina Confederate monument in Columbia. (Source: A Guide to Confederate Monuments in South Carolina: "Passing the Silent Cup" by Robert S. Seigler (1997), pgs 405-406.)
    — Submitted December 18, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.

2. McCormick County Courthouse
The McCormick County Courthouse is a two-story brick building
Nearby Blue Star Memorial Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, December 23, 2008
4. Nearby Blue Star Memorial Marker
A tribute to the Armed Forces
that have defended the
United States of America
Presented by
The McCormick Garden Club
built in 1923 in the Neo-Classical style. On the main (east) facade is a large two-story portico with Doric columns and pilasters. Above the columns is a sheet metal cornice with dentils and modillion blocks. The portico has a flat roof which intersects the main gable roof. The main entrance has double doors with an eight-light transom. Over the entrance is an enriched lintel with console brackets, dentils, and decorative frieze. Windows on the center bays of the first and second floors are tri-part six-over-six with two-over-two sidelights. Other windows in the building are six-over-six sash. Over the first floor windows is brick relief arching and keystones. A sheet metal cornice wraps the building. The interior displays pressed metal ceilings and original doors and transoms.

Significance
McCormick County was formed in 1916 from territory taken from Edgefield, Abbeville and Greenwood Counties. Plans were soon made to build a courthouse but the building was not completed until 1923. The architect was G. Lloyd Preacher of Augusta, who designed the building in the Neo-Classical style. The building is a good example of its period, with a large Doric portico on the main facade. The courthouse also has extensive decorative brickwork and an interior pressed metal ceiling. Since its completion the building has been continuously used as government offices for the county.
McCormick County Courthouse -<br>Confederate Monument, Far Left image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, December 23, 2008
5. McCormick County Courthouse -
Confederate Monument, Far Left
Few alterations have occurred to the building and it retains its original character. (Source: National Register nomination form.)
    — Submitted December 18, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.

 
Categories. HeroesMilitaryWar, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 878 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.   2. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.   3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement