Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Gettysburg in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Battery K, 1st N.Y. Light Artillery

(11th New York Ind. Battery Attached)

 

—Artillery Reserve —

 
Battery K, 1st N.Y. Light Artillery Monument Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, September 17, 2008
1. Battery K, 1st N.Y. Light Artillery Monument
Inscription. (Front):
Battery K.
1st N.Y. Light Artillery.
(11th New York Ind. Battery Attached)
Artillery Reserve.

(Back):
Battery K, (Fitzhugh's), Held this position July 3rd 1863 and assisted in repulsing Pickett's Charge. Casualties, wounded 7.

Organized at Fort Plain, N.Y. Mustered in Oct. 10th, 1861. Principal engagements: Bolivar Heights, Beverly Ford, Rappahannock Station, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Mine Run. Mustered out June 20th, 1865.
 
Erected 1888 by State of New York.
 
Location. 39° 48.816′ N, 77° 14.116′ W. Marker is near Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is on Hancock Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Located east of the Angle and High Water Mark area in Gettysburg National Military Park. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fourth Volunteer Brigade (a few steps from this marker); 11th Independent (Havelock) Battery (a few steps from this marker); 99th Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers (a few steps from this marker); 1st Company Massachusetts Sharpshooters
Battery K, 1st N.Y. Light Artillery Monument at dusk. Photo, Click for full size
By Henry T. McLin, January 1, 2009
2. Battery K, 1st N.Y. Light Artillery Monument at dusk.
(a few steps from this marker); Arnold's Battery (a few steps from this marker); 14th Connecticut Volunteer Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); Cyclorama Focal Point (within shouting distance of this marker); Twenty-Sixth North Carolina Regiment (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Gettysburg.
 
More about this marker. The back plaque on the monument is missing at this time. The text was transcribed from the Final Report on the Battlefield of Gettysburg (New York at Gettysburg), by the New York Monuments Commission for the Battlefields of Gettysburg and Chattanooga.
 
Also see . . .
1. The High Water Mark. National Park Service virtual tour stop. (Submitted on December 31, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 

2. Battery K, 1st New York Light Artillery Regiment. Service record of the battery. (Submitted on December 31, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 

3. Details of the Battery and Monument. The Monument was originally located at the intersection of Plesanton and Hancock Avenues, near the Pennsylvania Memorial. It was relocated in 1902. (Submitted on December 31, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Relief on Front of Monument Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, September 17, 2008
3. Relief on Front of Monument
 

4. Battery K, 1st N.Y. Light Artillery Monument. SIRIS entry for the monument. (Submitted on April 11, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Four 3-inch Ordnance Rifles Representing the Combined Batteries Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, September 17, 2008
4. Four 3-inch Ordnance Rifles Representing the Combined Batteries
Fitzhugh's Battery (Bty K, 1st New York with the 11th New York Independent attached) deployed along Cemetery Ridge half way through the great cannonade of July 3. The battery, with its six Ordnance Rifles, was called out of the reserve position, located roughly where the Pennsylvania Memorial stands today, to reinforce Arnold's, Cowan's, and Cushing's batteries.
Battery Position Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, September 17, 2008
5. Battery Position
Looking from behind the monument at the battery position. The Battery K monument is on the near side of Hancock Avenue to the left. Note the spot for the missing plaque. On the right is the 11th New York Independent Battery monument. On the far side of the avenue stand monuments to Andrews' Sharpshooters and the 14th Connecticut Infantry.
Original Location Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, April 4, 2009
6. Original Location
Flank markers for the battery still stand at the intersection of Pleasonton and Hancock Avenues. The left flank marker is in the foreground here. The right flank is on the distance, next to the old road trace.
View from the Right Flank Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, April 4, 2009
7. View from the Right Flank Marker
Looking from the right flank marker stone toward the intersection. The monument stood just this side of Pleasonton Avenue prior to being relocated to the present site.
Battery K, 1st N.Y. Light Artillery Monument Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, April 11, 2013
8. Battery K, 1st N.Y. Light Artillery Monument
The back of the Battery K monument is seen on the left between the two cannons. The copse of trees, the goal of Pickett's Charge, is visible in the center of the photo.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 929 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   2. submitted on , by Henry T. McLin of Hanover, Pennsylvania.   3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   6, 7. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   8. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement