McCormick in McCormick County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
McCormick County Veterans Monument
and Memory of
in Times of
Peace and War.
Location. 33° 54.633′ N, 82° 17.667′ W. Marker is in McCormick, South Carolina, in McCormick County. Click for map. Marker is located to the right of the McCormick County Courthouse front (northeast side) entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: South Mine Street, Mc Cormick SC 29835, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. McCormick County Confederate Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); McCormick Train Station (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); McCormick County / MACK (about 700 feet away); Dorn Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dornís Mill / Dorn Gold Mine (approx. 0.2 miles away but has been reported missing); Badwell / Badwell Cemetery (approx. 2.5 miles away); Welcome to Baker Creek State Park (approx. 4.1 miles away); Long Canes Massacre Long Cane Associated Reformed Presbyterian Church (approx. 5.3 miles away); Edmunds Family History / Samuel Calhoun Edmunds (approx. 5.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in McCormick.
Also see . . . McCormick County Courthouse. The McCormick County Courthouse is a two-story brick building built in 1923 in the Neo-Classical style. (Submitted on December 31, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. McCormick County Courthouse
The McCormick County Courthouse is a two-story brick building built in 1923 in the Neo-Classical style. On the main (east) facade is a large two-story portico with Doric columns and pilasters. Above the columns is a sheet metal cornice with dentils and modillion blocks. The portico has a flat roof which intersects the main gable roof. The main entrance has double doors with an eight-light transom. Over the entrance is an enriched lintel with console brackets, dentils, and decorative frieze. Windows on the center bays of the first and second floors are tri-part six-over-six with two-over-two sidelights. Other windows in the building are six-over-six sash.
McCormick County was formed in 1916 from territory taken from Edgefield, Abbeville and Greenwood Counties. Plans were soon made to build a courthouse but the building was not completed until 1923. The architect was G. Lloyd Preacher of Augusta, who designed the building in the Neo-Classical style. The building is a good example of its period, with a large Doric portico on the main facade. The courthouse also has extensive decorative brickwork and an interior pressed metal ceiling. Since its completion the building has been continuously used as government offices for the county. Few alterations have occurred to the building and it retains its original character. (Source: National Register nomination form.)
— Submitted December 19, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Military •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 783 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.