Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Richmond in Chesterfield County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fort Stevens

 
 
Fort Stevens Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 21, 2007
1. Fort Stevens Marker
Inscription. Built in 1862, Fort Stevens was part of the Confederate inter-defense line of Richmond. This fort was named for Col. W.H. Stevens, who was in charge of the construction of Richmond’s defenses. Most fortifications were built quickly and made of earth supported by logs. Because Fort Stevens did not immediately come under fire, it was built with a sandbag interior, making it more permanent.

Not until May 14, 1864, was this strong position attacked. Two days later, it became the pivot point for the Confederate counterattack on Gen. Benjamin Butler’s Army of the James. During this time, Fort Stevens was occupied by the 27th South Carolina Infantry of Hagood’s Brigade and the four guns of the Surry Light Artillery of Surry County, Va. On the morning of May 16, the Surry Light Artillery was removed and put in support of the counterattack on Gen. Butler’s army.
 
Erected by Chesterfield County.
 
Location. 37° 24.205′ N, 77° 25.774′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia, in Chesterfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Pams Avenue and Norcliff Avenue, on the left when traveling north on Pams Avenue. Click for map. Marker is in Fort Stevens Historical Park, located at the corner of Pams and Norcliff Avenues. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond VA 23237, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Marker at Fort Stevens Historical Park image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 21, 2007
2. Marker at Fort Stevens Historical Park
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Bermuda Campaign (within shouting distance of this marker); First Virginia Infantry Regiment (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fort Stevens (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Drewry’s Bluff (approx. 0.2 miles away); Drewry’s Bluff Defences (approx. 0.3 miles away); Drewry’s Bluff Battlefield (approx. half a mile away); Second Battle of Drewry's Bluff (approx. half a mile away); Bellwood Elk Herd (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Richmond.
 
More about this marker. The top of the marker features a picture of the interior of Fort Stevens with Confederate soldiers manning the cannons.
 
Also see . . .  The Civil War- Bermuda Hundred Campaign Sites. Chesterfield Historical Society website. (Submitted on December 31, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Inside Fort Stevens image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 21, 2007
3. Inside Fort Stevens
The well-preserved fortifications of Fort Stevens can be seen in this photo. The marker appears in the background.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 949 times since then and 83 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement