Herndon in Northumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Herndon Formerly Trevorton Junction
In 1850, the Trevorton, Mahanoy and Susquehanna Railway Co. erected a railroad from Trevorton to Trevorton Junction and the Susquehanna and Union Bridge Co. erected a bridge across the Susquehanna River to the Pa. Canal at Port Trevorton. Both were in operation by 1854. It is alleged that the bridge was as far north as the Confederate cavalry scouts came during the Civil War in reconnaissance of the area.
In 1857, the Northern Central Railway Co. constructed a railroad from Harrisburg to Tervorton Junction joining the railroad to Trevorton to transport the coal.
On Dec. 9, 1857, the post office was established at Trevorton Junction and named Herndon post office.
On the 31st day of March 1902, after a year of controversy the courts of North'd Co. signed a decree establishing the Borough of Herndon.
Location. 40° 42.589′ N, 76° 50.555′ W. Marker is in Herndon, Pennsylvania, in Northumberland County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street (State Highway 147) and Front Street:, on the right when traveling south on North Main Street. Click for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tulpehocken Path (approx. 0.9 miles away); John Scull Trading Post (approx. 1.4 miles away); Line Mountain A.K.A. Mahanoy Mountain (approx. 2.1 miles away); Erected to the Memory of Simon Snyder (approx. 6.2 miles away); Susquehanna University (approx. 6.4 miles away); Simon Snyder (approx. 6.4 miles away); “Coxey's Army” (approx. 6.9 miles away); The (John) Penn's Creek Massacre (approx. 7.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Herndon.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,161 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.