Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Havre de Grace in Harford County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Lock House

 
 
The Lock House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, July 1, 2007
1. The Lock House Marker
Inscription. The Lock House is located at the southern terminus of the Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal, which operated from 1840-1897. The canal was pivotal in the development of the Lower Susquehanna River Valley. It connected with the Pennsylvania Canal at Columbia and the Conestoga Canal at Safe Harbor, opening central Pennsylvania to trade with Baltimore and Philadelphia. The Lock House built in 1840, served as the toll collector’s office and home of the lock tender.
 
Erected by Maryland Historical Trust & Maryland State Highway Administration.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal marker series.
 
Location. 39° 33.168′ N, 76° 5.498′ W. Marker is in Havre de Grace, Maryland, in Harford County. Marker is at the intersection of Union Avenue and Otsego Street on Union Avenue. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Havre de Grace MD 21078, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Susquehanna River Crossing (within shouting distance of this marker); Under Attack (within shouting distance of this marker); Susquehanna Lower Ferry (within shouting distance of this marker);
Canal Side of Lock House image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, July 1, 2007
2. Canal Side of Lock House
Old Post Road: Susquehanna Lower Ferry (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Matilda O'Neill Home (about 500 feet away); Nineteenth Century Travel (approx. ¼ mile away); How a Lock Works (approx. ¼ mile away); The Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Havre de Grace.
 
Also see . . .  Susquehanna Museum web site. (Submitted on July 1, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceLandmarksNotable BuildingsWaterways & Vessels
 
Back of Lock House image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, July 1, 2007
3. Back of Lock House
Building is now a museum containing history of the canal and of Havre de Grace
Plaques at entrance to Lock House image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, July 12, 2007
4. Plaques at entrance to Lock House
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,925 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   4. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement