HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Near Franklin Springs in Franklin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Cromer's Mill Covered Bridge
 
Cromer's Mill Covered Bridge Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, March 15, 2001
1. Cromer's Mill Covered Bridge Marker
 
Inscription. The Cromers settled on Nails Creek in Franklin County in 1845. Prior to the Civil War, the family operated a woolen mill near this site. Subsequently, the area maintained a cotton gin, flour mill and saw mill, though all operations had ceased by 1943. In 1907, the county contracted with James M. Hunt to build the present 110-foot bridge. Constructed in the Town lattice design, the bridge´s web of planks crisscrossing at 45-to 60-degree angles are fastened with wooden pegs, or trunnels, at each intersection. Will Cromer, a descendant of the original family, built the stone abutments.
 
Erected 2000 by The Georgia Historical Society, Georgia Department of Transportation, and the Federal Highway Administration. (Marker Number 59-3.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 34° 16.495′ N, 83° 15.963′ W. Marker is near Franklin Springs, Georgia, in Franklin County. Marker is on Baker Road 0.1 miles north of Athens Road (Georgia Route 106), on the right. Click for map. Baker Road is the south end of the old Cromer Bridge Road, bypassed when the new bridge was built. The marker is at the south end of the covered bridge. Marker is in this post office area: Franklin Springs GA 30639, United States of America.
 
Cromer's Mill Covered Bridge and Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, March 15, 2001
2. Cromer's Mill Covered Bridge and Marker
 

 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Federal Road Historic District (approx. 5.5 miles away); Hebron Presbyterian Church (approx. 6.5 miles away); Carroll's Methodist Church (approx. 6.7 miles away); Franklin County (approx. 6.8 miles away); Historical Franklin Springs (approx. 6.8 miles away); The Franklin Springs (approx. 6.9 miles away); a different marker also named Historical Franklin Springs (approx. 6.9 miles away); Original Site and Portions (approx. 6.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Franklin Springs.
 
Cromer's Mill Covered Bridge and Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, March 15, 2001
3. Cromer's Mill Covered Bridge and Marker
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on January 1, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,369 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 1, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Picture showing the bridge´s crisscrossing web of planks. • Can you help?
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 195 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.