Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chester in Delaware County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Colonial Courthouse

 
 
Colonial Courthouse Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Pfingsten, January 1, 2009
1. Colonial Courthouse Marker
Inscription. Georgian Colonial design. Built in 1724, restored in 1920. In use for Chester County till 1786, for Delaware County, 1789-1851. Later used as City Hall. Oldest public building in continuous use in U. S.
 
Erected 1954 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Location. 39° 50.874′ N, 75° 21.595′ W. Marker is in Chester, Pennsylvania, in Delaware County. Marker is on Ave. of the States south of 5th Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chester PA 19013, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Chester Fire Department (here, next to this marker); Swedish Colonists (here, next to this marker); Viet Nam (here, next to this marker); Washington House (a few steps from this marker); Old Swedish Burial Ground (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Morton (about 500 feet away); Christofer Columbus (about 600 feet away); Green-Bank (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Chester.
 
Categories. Colonial EraNotable Buildings
 
Colonial Courthouse Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Pfingsten, January 1, 2009
2. Colonial Courthouse
Colonial Courthouse Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Pfingsten, January 1, 2009
3. Colonial Courthouse
Colonial Courthouse Plaque Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Pfingsten, January 1, 2009
4. Colonial Courthouse Plaque
This Building
was erected in 1724
during the reign of
George I of England
It was the Court House of
Chester County 1724-1786
The Court House of
Delaware County 1789-1851.
Hall of Chester Borough 1851-1866.
Hall of Chester City Since 1866.
In 1799 England declared war
against Spain and soldiers
were here enlisted for
an expedition to Cuba
Here Anthony Wayne rallied and
drilled his troops January 1776
In 1824 Lafayette as guest of
the Nation was entertained
in this building.

This tablet placed here by the
Delaware County Chapter
Daughters of the
American Revolution
April 19, 1903
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 785 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement