Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chester in Delaware County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Washington House

 
 
Washington House Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Pfingsten, January 1, 2009
1. Washington House Marker
Inscription. Built in 1747 on this site. Was known as "Pennsylvania Arms" until after Washington stopped here following the Battle of Brandywine in 1777. Noted stopping place on the old Post Road. Building stood here until 1952.
 
Erected 1954 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Location. 39° 50.869′ N, 75° 21.586′ W. Marker is in Chester, Pennsylvania, in Delaware County. Marker is on Ave. of the States near 4th Street, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chester PA 19013, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Colonial Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Chester Fire Department (a few steps from this marker); Swedish Colonists (a few steps from this marker); Viet Nam (a few steps from this marker); Old Swedish Burial Ground (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Morton (about 500 feet away); Christofer Columbus (about 500 feet away); Green-Bank (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Chester.
 
Categories. Colonial EraNotable Persons
 
Washington House Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Pfingsten, January 1, 2009
2. Washington House Marker
Marker is across the street from The Walt Garrison Home of th Delaware County Historical Society.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 574 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement