Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sacramento in Sacramento County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Site of the First Jewish Synagogue Owned by a Congregation on the Pacific Coast

 
 
Site of the First Jewish Synagogue Owned by a Congregation on the Pacific Coast Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Syd Whittle, December 31, 2008
1. Site of the First Jewish Synagogue Owned by a Congregation on the Pacific Coast Marker
Inscription. Site of the first Jewish Synagogue owned by a congregation on the Pacific Coast on 7th Street between L and Capital Avenue
(Marker Number 654.)
 
Location. 38° 34.677′ N, 121° 29.947′ W. Marker is in Sacramento, California, in Sacramento County. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 682 Capital Mall, Sacramento CA 95814, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Leland Stanford House (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jesse M. Unruh State Office Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sacramento Pioneers Society (approx. 0.2 miles away); California Mexican-American War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); The California Peace Officers Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pioneer Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); California’s Historic Capitol (approx. ¼ mile away); California State Capitol Park (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Sacramento.
 
Regarding Site of the First Jewish Synagogue Owned by a Congregation on the Pacific Coast. This site has been designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No.654.
Statement of Significance:
- The building that stood on this site was prefabricated in Baltimore and shipped
Site of the First Jewish Synagogue Owned by a Congregation on the Pacific Coast Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Syd Whittle, December 31, 2008
2. Site of the First Jewish Synagogue Owned by a Congregation on the Pacific Coast Marker
around Cape Horn in 1849. It originally housed the Methodist Episcopal Church, whose trustees sold the edifice on June 4, 1852 to Alexander Myer, Joseph Levison, and Charles Friedman, Officers of the Association of the Children of Israel (B'nai Israel), to serve as the first synagogue on the Pacific Coast, dedicated on September 3, 1852. The congregation followed the orthodox tradition until 1880, when it became an adherent of reform Judaism.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.LandmarksNotable Places
 
7th Street Photo, Click for full size
By Syd Whittle, December 31, 2008
3. 7th Street
Looking North toward L Street From Marker.
Site of the Synagogue
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,263 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   2, 3. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement