High Bridge in Hunterdon County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Taylor Wharton Iron and Steel Company
Standing together we have withstood the test of time
Oldest Iron and Steel Company in the United States
First Manganese Steel in the United States
Armaments for All Wars
Machinery for Construction of the Panama Canal
Erected 1976 by Historical Society of High Bridge (now maintained by the Union Forge Heritage Association).
Location. 40° 40.011′ N, 74° 53.594′ W. Marker is in High Bridge, New Jersey, in Hunterdon County. Marker is on Washington Avenue. Click for map. Located in Union Forge Park. Marker is in this post office area: High Bridge NJ 08829, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. T.I.S.C.O. Complex (within shouting distance of this marker); Taylor Iron and Steel Company (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Railroad Bridge and Arches (about 700 feet away); The American Hotel (about 700 feet away); St. Joseph Parish (approx. 0.2 miles away); C.K. Hoffman Veterans Memorial Park High Bridge and the Railroad (approx. ¼ mile away); The TISCO Complex (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in High Bridge.
Also see . . .
1. Celebration to Mark 175 Years in Buisness. "Taylor-Wharton Iron and Steel Company Has Made Munitions for Every American War," from a New York Times article.... In 1917! (Submitted on January 20, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. Brief History of the Taylor Wharton Iron and Steel Company. Hosted by the Lemelson Center at the Smithsonian Institution. (Submitted on January 22, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
1. Excerpt from Foundry Magazine 1901
Published by Penton Pub. Co., 1901
The Taylor Iron and Steel Co.
The Taylor Iron & Steel Co., at High Bridge, N. J., according to a pamphlet just issued, occupy a site of considerable historic interest, one of the earliest works for the production of iron in America having been established there about the year 1710. During the Revolutionary War much material was supplied the Continental forces, but the exhaustion of the supply of charcoal caused the closing of the works in 1782. In 1852 a new forge
— Submitted January 3, 2009, by William Honachefsky Jr of High Bridge/Clinton Twp, New Jersey.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Honachefsky Jr of High Bridge/Clinton Twp, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 3,852 times since then and 213 times this year. Last updated on , by William Honachefsky Jr of High Bridge/Clinton Twp, New Jersey. Photos: 1. submitted on , by William Honachefsky Jr of High Bridge/Clinton Twp, New Jersey. 2. submitted on , by William Honachefsky Jr of High Bridge/Clinton Twp, New Jersey. 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by William Honachefsky Jr of High Bridge/Clinton Twp, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.