Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Red Hill in Franklin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Red Hill School

 
 
Red Hill School Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, September 16, 2006
1. Red Hill School Marker
Inscription. In 1912, William Thomas Sosby donated 1.4 acres near this site for the Red Hill School. Originally for grades 1-6, the school added grades 7-9 in 1922. After consolidation in 1925, a new school building was constructed here on land donated by Sosby and C.C. Fain. Housing a gymnasium/auditorium with a stage for school plays and community activities and a community cannery, this site became the focal point of the unincorporated community of Red Hill. In 1971 a third school building was moved to Carnesville. Only the 1928 teacherage remains here.
 
Erected 1999 by The Georgia Historical Society and the Franklin County Historical Society. (Marker Number 59-1.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 34° 26.108′ N, 83° 15.638′ W. Marker is in Red Hill, Georgia, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of Georgia Route 106 and Red Hill School Road, on the left when traveling west on State Route 106. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Carnesville GA 30521, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Franklin County (approx. 4.7 miles away); Red Hollow Road (approx. 5.5 miles away); Stephens County High School (approx. 6 miles away); Carroll's Methodist Church (approx. 6 miles away); Eastanollee Baptist Church (approx. 6.1 miles away but has been reported missing); Old Federal Road Historic District (approx. 6.7 miles away); Double Branches Baptist Church (approx. 7.8 miles away); a different marker also named Carroll’s Methodist Church (approx. 7.8 miles away).
 
Categories. 20th CenturyEducation
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 797 times since then and 67 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement