Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jasper in Pickens County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Oglethorpe Monument

 
 
Oglethorpe Monument Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 18, 2001
1. Oglethorpe Monument Marker
Inscription. This 38-foot monument was designed and dedicated in 1930 by Colonel Sam Tate of Georgia Marble Company, as a tribute to General James Edward Oglethorpe, founder of the colony of Georgia. Attendees included Governor Lamartine G. Hardman and other prominent dignitaries. It was carved by James Watt from Cherokee marble quarried locally. These quarries are the largest in the United States. The monument was located 10 miles east on Mount Oglethorpe (Grassy Knob), southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail until 1958. It was restored and moved here in 1999.
 
Erected 2001 by Georgia Historical Society and the City of Jasper. (Marker Number 112-1.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 34° 28.208′ N, 84° 25.869′ W. Marker is in Jasper, Georgia, in Pickens County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and Chambers Street, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jasper GA 30143, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Pickens County Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Pickens County
Oglethorpe Monument Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 18, 2001
2. Oglethorpe Monument Marker
(about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Federal Road (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Old Federal Road (approx. 1.7 miles away); Georgia Marble Company and the Village of Tate (approx. 4.6 miles away); a different marker also named Old Federal Road (approx. 5.4 miles away but has been reported missing); Site of Carmel (Taloney) Mission Station (approx. 6.3 miles away); a different marker also named Old Federal Road (approx. 6.3 miles away but has been reported missing). Click for a list of all markers in Jasper.
 
More about this marker. While the marker was erected in 2001, for a variety of reasons it was not dedicated until 2007.
 
Also see . . .  James Oglethorpe Monument. Additional information on the Oglethorpe Monument can be found at this link. (Submitted on January 12, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.) 
 
Categories. LandmarksNotable Persons
 
Oglethorpe Monument image. Click for full size.
By David Tibbs, January 19, 2009
3. Oglethorpe Monument
Oglethorpe Monument-Oglethorpe Engraving image. Click for full size.
By David Tibbs, January 19, 2009
4. Oglethorpe Monument-Oglethorpe Engraving
In grateful recognition
of the achievements of
James Edward Oglethorpe
who by courage, industry and
endurance founded the
Commonwealth of Georgia in 1732
Dedicated July 25, 1930
Oglethorpe Monument-State Seal image. Click for full size.
By David Tibbs, January 19, 2009
5. Oglethorpe Monument-State Seal
Oglethorpe Monument-State of Georgia image. Click for full size.
By David Tibbs, January 19, 2009
6. Oglethorpe Monument-State of Georgia
Oglethorpe Monument-Scales Of Justice image. Click for full size.
By David Tibbs, January 19, 2009
7. Oglethorpe Monument-Scales Of Justice
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 960 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement