Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Greenville in Greenville County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

In 1825

 
 
In 1825 Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Brian Scott, December 24, 2008
1. In 1825 Marker
Inscription.
In 1825
Erected on This Site
The First Church
in Greenville
Christ Church

 
Location. 34° 51.017′ N, 82° 23.683′ W. Marker is in Greenville, South Carolina, in Greenville County. Marker is on South Church Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is located at the west entrance to the church grounds. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10 North Church Street, Greenville SC 29601, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Here Lieth the Body of Sarah M. Crittenden (within shouting distance of this marker); Christ Church (Episcopal) (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Church Street (about 600 feet away); Site of First Baptist Church / Baptist Seminary (approx. 0.2 miles away); Frank Selvy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Greenville Memorial Auditorium (approx. 0.2 miles away); Clayton "Peg Leg" Bates (approx. 0.2 miles away); "Shoeless" Joe Jackson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Brockman Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Frank Howard (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Greenville.
 
Also see . . .
1. Christ Church (Episcopal). The official website of Christ Church (Episcopal). (Submitted on January 11, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
In 1825 Marker and Memorial Fountain Photo, Click for full size
By Brian Scott, December 24, 2008
2. In 1825 Marker and Memorial Fountain
 

2. Christ Church (Episcopal). Historically, Christ Church is Greenville’s oldest organized religious body (1820) as well as the city’s oldest church building (1852-1854). (Submitted on January 11, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Notable Buildings
 
Christ Church (Episcopal) Photo, Click for full size
By Brian Scott, December 24, 2008
3. Christ Church (Episcopal)
From the National Register nomination form: "The present building, for which the cornerstone was laid on May 29, 1852, replaced the original small church which was erected in 1825 on approximately the same site."
Christ Church (Episcopal) - South Entrance Photo, Click for full size
By Brian Scott, December 24, 2008
4. Christ Church (Episcopal) - South Entrance
From the National Register nomination form: "In January 1856, the new Christ Church was described in the Southern Episcopalian as 'first point Gothic, length 112 feet, five lancet windows, western end a pentaphlet and a circle with emblem of the Holy Trinity, triplet window in chancel, glass by Wills of new York, vestry in north transept, the tower is connected with the south porch, spire rising to 130 feet..."
In 1825 Marker with Markley Chapel in Background Photo, Click for full size
By Brian Scott, December 24, 2008
5. In 1825 Marker with Markley Chapel in Background
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 895 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement