Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Crawfordville in Taliaferro County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Taliaferro County

 
 
Taliaferro County Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Tristan Budd, January 3, 2009
1. Taliaferro County Marker
Inscription. This County, created by an act of the Legislature Dec. 24, 1825, is named for Colonel Benjamin Taliaferro, Revolutionary soldier in Lee's Legion and a member of Congress from 1799 to 1802.

In this city stands Liberty Hall, now a State Shrine, beloved home in life and the last resting place of Alexander H. Stephens, affectionately known as "Little Alec" and "The Great Commoner."

Born in a log cabin in this county in 1812 and graduating from the University of Georgia in 1832, Mr. Stephens began his public career by serving six consecutive terms in the Georgia legislature with distinction. He was elected to Congress in 1843 and served through 1859. He voted against secession in the Georgia Convention of 1861 but accepted his State's decision and was a delegate to the Montgomery convention at which the Confederacy was born. Elected Vice President of the Confederacy he served throughout the war, opposing many of the policies of President Jefferson Davis.

Mr. Stephens was elected to the United States Senate in 1866 but a seat was refused him. He was again elected to Congress in 1873 and served until 1882, when he was elected Governor of Georgia dying in office on March 4, 1883.

Among Taliaferro County's first officers were: Sheriff Asa C. Alexander, Superior Court Clerk Marcus Andrew, Inferior Court Clerk
Taliaferro County Courthouse. Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, January 19, 2009
2. Taliaferro County Courthouse.
The Taliaferro County marker is visible to the left, with The Common Road of the English Following Old Indian Trail is to the right.
Henry Perkins, Coroner Solomon Harper and Surveyor Henry Stewart.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 131-1.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 33.256′ N, 82° 53.796′ W. Marker is in Crawfordville, Georgia, in Taliaferro County. Marker is at the intersection of Broad Street (U.S. 278) and Monument Street, on the right when traveling west on Broad Street. Click for map. In front of the County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 113 Monument Street, Crawfordville GA 30631, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Common Road of the English Following Old Indian Trail (here, next to this marker); Crawfordville Confederate Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Taliaferro County World Wars Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Taliaferro County World War I Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Roselle Mercier Montgomery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Tavern Site
Taliaferro County Courthouse Photo, Click for full size
By Tristan Budd, January 3, 2009
3. Taliaferro County Courthouse
(about 300 feet away); Crawfordville Methodist Church (about 400 feet away); Site of Childhood Home of Richard Malcolm Johnston (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Crawfordville.
 
Also see . . .  Another stop along the Jefferson Davis Highway. This link is for other Jefferson Davis Highway Markers entered into the Historical Marker database. (Submitted on May 3, 2010.) 
 
Additional comments.
1. Correct pronunciation of Taliaferro
The county's name is spoken very differently from the way it appears phonetically. The correct pronunciation sounds like "tolliver" (it rhymes with the common male name "Oliver").
    — Submitted May 3, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.

 
Categories. Antebellum South, USCemeteries & Burial SitesGovernmentPoliticsWar, US Civil
 
Taliaferro County Courthouse, Clock Tower, and Flagpole Photo, Click for full size
By AGS Media, October 3, 2009
4. Taliaferro County Courthouse, Clock Tower, and Flagpole
Jefferson Davis Highway Marker in Crawfordville Photo, Click for full size
By AGS Media, October 3, 2009
5. Jefferson Davis Highway Marker in Crawfordville
Stone at the corner of Broad and Monument Streets. On the building across Monument Street in the background is the mural "A Dixie Welcome to Crawfordville, Ga".
The Jefferson Davis Highway Marker sits approximately 25 meters to the east of the Taliaferro County Historical Marker.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tristan Budd of Kingsland, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,155 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Tristan Budd of Kingsland, Georgia.   2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   3. submitted on , by Tristan Budd of Kingsland, Georgia.   4, 5. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement