Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Diego in San Diego County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Mission San Diego de Alcala

 
 
Mission San Diego de Alcala Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Syd Whittle, November 27, 2005
1. Mission San Diego de Alcala Marker
Inscription. On Sunday, July 16, 1769 Fathers Junipero Serra, Juan Viscaino and Fernando Parron raised and blessed a cross to establish Alta, California’s 1st Mission. Relocated from Presidio Hill to this site in August 1774 the Mission was the mother of those founded in California by the Franciscan Order. The present buildings, first completed in 1813 were rebuilt in stages from 1915 to 1931 after many years of deterioration. They have been in use as a parish church since February 1941.
 
Erected 1959 by The State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Diocese of San Diego and Squibob Chapter E Clampus Vitus, Sunday July 16, 1959. (Marker Number 242.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus, and the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
 
Location. 32° 47.056′ N, 117° 6.377′ W. Marker is in San Diego, California, in San Diego County. Click for map. Marker is mounted on the front of the main Mission building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10818 San Diego Mission Road, San Diego CA 92108, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. El Camino Real (here, next to this marker); The Campanario (within shouting
California’s First Mission Photo, Click for full size
By Syd Whittle, November 27, 2005
2. California’s First Mission
Founded By
Father Junipero Serra – July 1769
Reconstructed by the generous aid of the Citizens of San Diego 1931
Fully restored by the charity of the Hearst Foundation 1946
Rededicated to the Glory of God and the Salvation of Souls by its re-establishment as a parish church under the title Mission San Diego de Alcala. 1941
This plaque presented by the Ali Caravan No.134, San Diego
distance of this marker); La Playa Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); The Church (within shouting distance of this marker); San Diego State University (approx. 2 miles away); The Freedom Tree (approx. 3.9 miles away); Fort Stockton (approx. 5.3 miles away); Junipero Serra Museum (approx. 5.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in San Diego.
 
Regarding Mission San Diego de Alcala. This site has been designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No.242
 
Also see . . .
1. Mission San Diego: Mission History. (Submitted on September 30, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
2. California Missions: Mission San San Diego de Alcada. (Submitted on September 30, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
3. San Diego Historical Society-San Diego History: Mission San Diego. (Submitted on September 30, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
 
Additional comments.
1. National Historic Landmark - Statement of Significance (as of designation-April
Mission San Diego de Alcala Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Kirchner, March 31, 2015
3. Mission San Diego de Alcala Marker
marker is just to the right of the door.
15, 1970)

Completed in 1813, this church served the mission founded by Fray Junipero Serra in 1769. It was also used as an Indian school and boys' home
    — Submitted September 30, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.

2. The Campanario --See Photos #4 and #5
The Campanario is 46 feet high and holds the Mission bells.
--The crown-topped bell on the lower right is named Ave Maria Purisima - Immaculate Mary. It weighs 805 pounds and was cast in 1802. A crowned top bell was usually supplied by the Spanish King and cast in the royal foundry in Barcelona at the King’s expense or made in a country ruled by Spain. Ave Maria Purisima was in the vestibule of St. Joseph’s church and was hung in the campanario after reconstruction of Mission San Diego in 1931
--The bell on the lower left is called Mater Dolores – Our Lady of Sorrows. It weighs 1200 pounds and was recast by the Standard Iron Works of San Diego in 1894 from bell fragments found in the vicinity of the Mission.
--The bells played an important role in the everyday life of the Mission. A sequence of tones and rhythms was developed for each occasion. They were used to announce times for Mass, work, meals, and siestas. The bells signaled danger, rang solemnly to honor the dead, and
Mission San Diego de Alcala Photo, Click for full size
By Syd Whittle, November 27, 2005
4. Mission San Diego de Alcala
pealed joyously to celebrate feats days, weddings, and fiestas.
    — Submitted September 30, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.

 
Categories. Churches, Etc.ExplorationGovernmentLandmarksNotable BuildingsNotable EventsNotable PersonsNotable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
 
The Campanario Photo, Click for full size
By Syd Whittle, November 27, 2005
5. The Campanario
Vintage Postcard - San Diego Mission, California Founded 1769 Photo, Click for full size
By Edw H. Mitchell at San Francisco
6. Vintage Postcard - San Diego Mission, California Founded 1769
Mission San Diego de Alcala-Founded July 16, 1769, San Diego, Calif. Photo, Click for full size
By Frashers Foto
7. Mission San Diego de Alcala-Founded July 16, 1769, San Diego, Calif.
Mission San Diego de Alcala Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Kirchner, March 31, 2015
8. Mission San Diego de Alcala
Mission San Diego de Alcala - San Diego, California Photo, Click for full size
By Frasher Foto
9. Mission San Diego de Alcala - San Diego, California
Mission San Diego de Alcala Photo, Click for full size
By Michael D Martin, March 11, 2010
10. Mission San Diego de Alcala
Mission San Diego de Alcala Photo, Click for full size
By Michael D Martin, March 11, 2010
11. Mission San Diego de Alcala
Time Capsule on Mission Grounds Photo, Click for full size
By Syd Whittle, March 18, 2006
12. Time Capsule on Mission Grounds
Preserving the History
Of Two Centuries
Dating From Establishment
of
Mission San Diego de Alcala
December 31, 1969
To Be Opened
July 16, 2069
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 9,028 times since then and 138 times this year. Last updated on , by Dean Whittle of San Diego, California. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.   4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   8. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.   9. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   10, 11. submitted on , by Michael D Martin of Gig Harbor, Washington.   12. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement