Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sonoma in Sonoma County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Sonoma Barracks

 
 
Sonoma Barracks Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, January 10, 2009
1. Sonoma Barracks Marker
Inscription. Erected in 1836 by General H. G. Vallejo. Headquarters of Bear Flag Party which on June 14, 1846 proclaimed a “California Republic” and raised the Bear Flag on Sonoma’s Plaza. Twenty three days later, July 7, 1846, Commodore John Drake Sloat, representing the United States Government, took possession of California. In April 1847, Stevenson’s regiment, Company “G” U.S.A. occupied the barracks.
 
Erected 1937 by Historical Landmarks Committee, Native Sons of the Golden West, May 1937. (Marker Number 316.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 38° 17.62′ N, 122° 27.397′ W. Marker is in Sonoma, California, in Sonoma County. Marker can be reached from East Spain Street near First Street East. Click for map. Marker is mounted on the building facing East Spain Street, across from the Plaza and Bear Flag Monument. Marker is in this post office area: Sonoma CA 95476, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Toscano Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); The End of the Mission Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Mission San Francisco Solano Sacred Ground
Sonoma Barracks image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, January 10, 2009
2. Sonoma Barracks
(within shouting distance of this marker); Raising of the Bear Flag Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Mission San Francisco Solano (within shouting distance of this marker); Servants Quarters (within shouting distance of this marker); Vasquez House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Blue Wing Inn (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Sonoma.
 
Regarding Sonoma Barracks. This site designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No.316 on July 12, 1939
 
Also see . . .
1. The Sonoma Barracks. (Submitted on January 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
2. The Sonoma Barracks. The two-story, wide-balconied, adobe barracks facing Sonoma's central plaza was built to house Mexican army troops under the command of General Vallejo. These troops first arrived in Sonoma in 1834 when Vallejo, then the Commandant of the Presidio at San Francisco, was instructed to move his garrison to Sonoma. From then until 1846, Sonoma was the headquarters of the commandant of the Frontera del Norte -
Sonoma State Historic Park image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, January 10, 2009
3. Sonoma State Historic Park
the Mexican provincial frontier of the north. Actual construction of the adobe barracks building probably took place in stages, but was more or less completed in 1840 and '41. (Submitted on January 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.) 

3. Sonoma State Historic Park. The historic, picturesque town of Sonoma is located in the heart of the beautiful Wine Country between Napa and Santa Rosa off Highway 12. Situated around a central plaza (the largest of its kind in California) filled with charming shops and restaurants, the city is home to Sonoma State Historic Park—site of the northernmost Franciscan Mission in California and birthplace of the California State Bear Flag. (Submitted on January 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.) 

4. Sonoma State Historic Park. (Submitted on January 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
 
Additional comments.
1. The Barracks
This Monterey Colonial, two-story adobe was built by Indian labor under the direction of Gen. Vallejo for use as Mexican Troop Headquarters. English settler Mark West served as contractor.
Following the raising of the American Flag, the Barracks served as U.S. military quarters in the 1840s and 1850s. Colonel E. Stevenson’s
View of the Barracks Courtyard image. Click for more information.
By Syd Whittle, January 10, 2009
4. View of the Barracks Courtyard
Mission San Francisco Solano is in Background

Click for more information.
New York Regiment was quartered here from April 4, 1847 to August 25, 1848. The U.S. Military Dragoons (Cavalry) remained in Sonoma until 1852.
The Barracks was used by Vallejo in the 1850’s as a winery. It was also used as a print shop and an experimental laboratory for raising silkworms. Solomon Schocken bought it on June 15, 1878 for a general merchandising store, using the top floor for his home. In August, 1880, Frederick Clewe leased the store for $50. Later, the building was used as a saloon, a shop and law offices. In 1935, Walter L. Murphy, editor and publisher of the Sonoma Index-Tribune, bought the Barracks and refurbished the second floor for his family. The first floor was rented out for offices and other uses.
The State purchased the building in late 1950s. Formerly a prime example of adobe construction of the late 1830s, the building has been reconstructed with steel reinforcements by the State.
Source: Sonoma Walking Tour Brochure
    — Submitted January 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.

 
Categories. GovernmentLandmarksMilitaryNotable BuildingsNotable EventsNotable PersonsNotable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
 
Back of Barracks Viewed from the Courtyard image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, January 10, 2009
5. Back of Barracks Viewed from the Courtyard
Back of the Barracks Viewed from the Courtyard image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, January 10, 2009
6. Back of the Barracks Viewed from the Courtyard
Bear Flag (Replica) image. Click for more information.
By Syd Whittle, January 10, 2009
7. Bear Flag (Replica)
On Display in the Sonoma Barracks Museum

Click for more information.
Sonoma Barracks Museum Display image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, January 10, 2009
8. Sonoma Barracks Museum Display
State Historical Landmark Directional Sign at Entrance to Sonoma Plaza Area image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, January 10, 2009
9. State Historical Landmark Directional Sign at Entrance to Sonoma Plaza Area
General Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo image. Click for full size.
Bancroft Library
10. General Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo
Sonoma Barracks image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, circa 1977
11. Sonoma Barracks
A circa 1977 photo of restoration in progress.
Sonoma Barracks Looking West on East Spain Street image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, January 10, 2009
12. Sonoma Barracks Looking West on East Spain Street
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,719 times since then and 93 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   11. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   12. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement