Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Crawfordville in Taliaferro County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Crawfordville Methodist Church

 
 
Crawfordville Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 17, 2005
1. Crawfordville Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. This church, originally known as "Bird's Chapel," was founded in 1826 as the first church in the newly formed town of Crawfordville. It was an outgrowth of the now defunct Powder Creek Meeting House near Sandy Cross, which came into existence about 1805. "Bird's Chapel" was ministered to by the Rev. Williamson Bird, Jr., who built and lived in the house now known as "Liberty Hall," the home of Alexander Hamilton Stephens. This chapel, originally located at the corner of what is now Jackson and Askin Streets, was later moved closer in to town for the convenience of its members. It was disbanded just before the War Between the States due to the moving away of many of its members, but was re-formed by the Rev. Allen Thomas, in 1876, on the southwest corner of the Liberty Hall lawn on land donated by Alexander H. Stephens. By 1911, this old church was outgrown and a new and larger building was built a half-block north of this present site; that building was destroyed by a cyclone in 1918. The present building, of Greek Colonial design, was erected in 1920.
 
Erected 1956. (Marker Number 131-20.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 33.205′ 
Crawfordville Methodist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 19, 2009
2. Crawfordville Methodist Church and Marker
N, 82° 53.846′ W. Marker is in Crawfordville, Georgia, in Taliaferro County. Marker is at the intersection of Moore Street and Alexander Street, on the right when traveling east on Moore Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Crawfordville GA 30631, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Common Road of the English Following Old Indian Trail (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Taliaferro County World War I Memorial (about 400 feet away); Taliaferro County (about 400 feet away); Crawfordville Confederate Memorial (about 400 feet away); Taliaferro County World Wars Memorial (about 500 feet away); Roselle Mercier Montgomery (about 500 feet away); Old Tavern Site (about 600 feet away); Site of Childhood Home of Richard Malcolm Johnston (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Crawfordville.
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USCemeteries & Burial Sites
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 758 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement