HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Leesburg in Loudoun County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Old Stone Church Site
 
Old Stone Church Site Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, July 4, 2007
1. Old Stone Church Site Marker
 
Inscription. One block north on Cornwall Street is the site of the first Methodist-owned property in America. Lot 50 was deeded to the Methodist Society in Leesburg on May 11, 1766. In 1778, the Sixth American Conference of Methodists met there, the first such gathering in Virginia. At least two church buildings occupied the site before 1902, when the “Old Stone Church” was demolished. The churchyard is maintained as a national historic shrine of the United Methodist Church.
 
Erected 1989 by Department of Conservation and Historic Resources. (Marker Number T 23.)
 
Location. 39° 6.956′ N, 77° 34′ W. Marker is in Leesburg, Virginia, in Loudoun County. Marker is at the intersection of Market Street (Business Virginia Route 7) and Liberty Street, on the left when traveling west on Market Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Leesburg VA 20175, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1862 Antietam Campaign (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Leesburg (about 500 feet away); Ealry Methodism in Leesburg (about 500 feet away); In Memory of Richard Owings (about 600 feet away); Loudoun County Courthouse (about 700 feet away); Fighting for Freedom (approx. 0.2 miles away); Loudoun County Court Square (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lee Comes to Leesburg (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Tolbert Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Leesburg Passenger Station (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Leesburg.
 
Marker at Current Leesburg United Methodist Church Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, July 4, 2007
2. Marker at Current Leesburg United Methodist Church
 

 
More about this marker. At the entrance to the present day Leesburg United Methodist Church. The site of the original stone church is approximately 500 feet north at the intersection of Cornwall and Liberty Streets.
 
Also see . . .  Article on Old Stone Church. From the General Commission on Archives and History of the United Methodist Church. (Submitted on July 4, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Site of the Old Stone Church Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, July 4, 2007
3. Site of the Old Stone Church
Brick walking paths outline the walls of the original church. Displays in the kiosk detail the church congregation history and the cemetery.
 
 
The Oldest Tombstones Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, July 4, 2007
4. The Oldest Tombstones
The stones date to 1777 and 1779.
 
 
Foot Marker at Shrine Entrance Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, July 4, 2007
5. Foot Marker at Shrine Entrance
Plaque reads: Early Methodism in Leesburg. On this site, deeded in 1766, stood the old methodist meeting house completed about 1770. Here in 1778 was held the sixth conference of American Methodism and the first in Virginia. In this cemetery in 1786 was buried Richard Owings, first native Methodist preacher in America. The old stone church was dismantled in 1901. Erected by Leesburg Methodist Church, July 13, 1952.
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on July 4, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,690 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 4, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 230 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.