Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dalton in Whitfield County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The McCarty Subdivision

 
 
The McCarty Subdivision Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, May 25, 2002
1. The McCarty Subdivision Marker
Inscription. John B. McCarty began laying out a neighborhood here in 1928. By 1950, influential Dalton residents had established one of the city’s earliest subdivisions using New South landscaping. Tudor Revival, Colonial Revival, and Minimal Traditional architectural styles popular in Georgia at the time. This neighborhood housed residents who pioneered and maintained the Dalton textile and carpet industry whose products are used world-wide. McCarty himself was founder of Dalton Spread Laundry, a key business in the evolution of the carpet industry.
 
Erected 2002 by The Georgia Historical Society and the City of Dalton. (Marker Number 155-1.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 34° 45.677′ N, 84° 58.37′ W. Marker was in Dalton, Georgia, in Whitfield County. Marker was at the intersection of West Walnut Avenue (Georgia Route 52) and Willow Park Drive, on the right when traveling east on West Walnut Avenue. Click for map. Marker was in this post office area: Dalton GA 30720, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location
The McCarty Neighborhood Marker prior to dedication. Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, June 30, 2008
2. The McCarty Neighborhood Marker prior to dedication.
This marker replaced "The McCarty Subdivision" marker. It reads,
William Scott and Frances Brown McCarty began laying out a neighborhood here in 1927. By 1950, influential Dalton residents had established one of the city's earliest subdivision. McCarty residents pioneered and maintained the Dalton textile and carpet industry whose products are used worldwide. Long-time residents and sons of the neighborhood's founders, John Brown McCarty co-founded Star Dye Company with Clarence Shaw in the mid-1940s, and Frank Brown McCarty founded McCarty Chenille in the 1940s, became manufacturing vice president at Barwick Mills during the 1950s, helped establish E&B Carpets in the 1960s, and mentored others in the industry.
. The McCarty Neighborhood (here, next to this marker); The Blunt House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Confederate Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Campaign for Atlanta: Johnston's Review (approx. 0.6 miles away); George Whitefield (approx. ¾ mile away); Joseph E. Johnston Memorial (approx. ¾ mile away); Tristam Dalton (approx. 0.8 miles away); Western and Atlantic Railroad Depot (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Dalton.
 
More about this marker. The marker was removed in early 2008, replaced by a new Georgia Historical Society marker titled "The McCarty Neighborhood." The new marker, numbered 155-3, has a slightly different text with more detailed information on John McCarty's background.

There has been no date announced for a formal dedication of the new marker.
 
Categories. 20th CenturyPolitical SubdivisionsSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 685 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement